1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS: 10% Pay Claim for 2018

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Liviboy, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Liviboy

Liviboy Occasional commenter

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

We'll have be dead in 3028! I can't wait that long for a decent payrise.

Liviboy likes this.
  3. Liviboy

I’ve heard of autocorrect doing weird things but I never even thought to check it hadn’t changed the date!!

Post edited :)

catmother likes this.
  4. Liviboy

Now hitting national press:

BBC:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42833848

The Herald:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/15900178.Teaching_chiefs_demand_10__pay_hike/

STV

https://stv.tv/news/politics/1407034-teachers-union-demands-10-pay-rise-for-its-members/

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

As for the pay claim, I'm with the SSTA but I hope both unions can work together to get a half decent deal that gets sorted quicker than the last one.

sicilypat and Liviboy like this.
  6. Liviboy

I agree CM but don’t think a 10% claim (or 5% for that matter) is going to be agreed in any hurry...hence why EIS and SSTA have both already announced intentions to ballot for industrial action if sufficient progress not made.

7. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

The unions need to get the employers response to the 10% claim then after they knock it back they need to push quickly for a ballot. 10% or even 5% sounds a lot in the current climate but not if the unions get their act together and teachers support widespread strike action. No-one will question the case made for a restorative pay claim however they may wonder whether teachers have the bottle to fight for it, we'll need to wait and see. I suspect that after a couple of national 1 day strikes we'll be moving towards a 5% deal with some effort to plug the back door and retain experienced teachers, perhaps by restructuring the scales or cutting contact time for over 50s.

Effinbankers and sicilypat like this.
  8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I fear that I might know the answer to that question. I hope I'm wrong.

Alice K likes this.
  9. beharder

beharder Occasional commenter

I fear you may be right catmother They has been a significant level of shitebaggery in all the staffroom i have frequented over the years.

Will any non strikers hand back a pay award won by their colleagues?

10. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

Exactly, and what about the ones who are not even union members? I can't remember a single one of them ever saying thanks for any gains the unions have fought for over the years, not just on pay. Anyway, I have always used the matter of member, non-member as a sure fire way of deciding which of them vote Tory and therefore to be avoided. Just me, can't help it.

markbannan and Alice K like this.
  11. OwerAuld

OwerAuld Occasional commenter

10 Reasons you Deserve a 24% Pay Rise

Reason 2:
    Changes to pensions and national insurance, combined with sub-inflation pay settlements, have led to cuts of around 24% in teachers’ take-home pay since 2009. Why punish teachers for the mistakes of the banks?

12. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

Scabs Marco. Let's call them what they are. Selfish scabs.

13. Liviboy

I’m clearly showing my youth here...I thought scabs were union members that crossed the picket line? Was the term also used for non-union members?

14. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

Put the wrong quote in. Meant to comment on non strikers.

We all know those who won't cross a picket line when push comes to shove.

There was 2 or 3 in my place today moaning about how they couldn't afford to strike after the 10% pay claim was lodged. The same folk who are seemingly happy with a 20% fall in living standards

15. Liviboy

I have 1 “anti-strike” member in my staff. She “just doesn’t see the point of disrupting the kids learning” and thinks we should win through talk...

I did mention the IA is usually the last resort when all else has failed...

I also have an issue with people who want the Union’s support...but then don’t support the democratic will of the union members...

beharder, Alice K and Effinbankers like this.
  16. Marco82

I think union members have the right to make their own mind up about striking etc or not, my beef has always bee nice with those that take what unions have won in struggle over the years - I mean unions at large, not just teachers - but who never think of refusing anything that comes their way. I always ask them what kind o terms and condition should they would have if unions didn't exist. But most of the most have no understanding of history anyway and have a naive belief in the farirness of their employers. There is a certain type with an ingrained, unshakeable hostility to the organised labour movement and sadly there are quite a few of my colleagues like that. well have a job convincing them to take action to get back even some of what has been stolen from us.

Alice K likes this.
  17. Marco82

Apologies for typos am having trouble as usual with this stupid typing window

18. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

I think if you're not willing to strike you should have the integrity to join Voice. Unions are democratic organisations - if you can't abide by the collective decision then don't join.

Effinbankers likes this.
  19. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

What I don't understand is why unions are not putting in a 24% claim if our pay has fallen that much behind.

And, remember, the money we've "lost" since 2008 will never be seen again, so shouldn't the claim be even higher than 24%?

20. Marco82

Jimmy, we should have been prepared to fight for proper rises years ago. Now, having allowed such a collapse to take place, we face the problem of having to convince the public that we are not selfish greedy wasters for demanding so much. Just think of the propaganda onslaught that is coming our way! Why are you a special case? What about other public sector workers? Where is the money to come from? Do you want to take money out of health and social spending? Why should low paid workers taxes go towards paying for well heeled teachers? Why did not you get another job if you don't like the conditions? I already heard this on BBC radio Scotland on Friday night. And it is a hard case to make no doubt. Easy enough to convince each other here but I wouldn't like to make it in front of a group of workers on the minimum wage.

inthered likes this.