1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EHCP Targets

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by tick/star/smileyface, Jun 24, 2018.

1. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I'm fairly new to the role of SENCo and wanted to see how people record/monitor the outcomes from EHCPs in different schools. Once the document has been confirmed, do you then create a separate working document to record on - or add to the EHCP?

2. tick/star/smileyface

I should add, I am asking this just to see how different schools (Primary) approach it. Thank you.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The intended outcomes from the EHCP are converted into targets on the child's Individual Education Plan-obviously not all a once but broken down into manageable chunks! The IEPs are the working document, these are scribbled on, updated and amended as we go along. Come the next EHCP review, we have a record of which outcomes have/have not been met.

4. tick/star/smileyface

Thanks Carrie - that's what we currently do then but we no longer call them IEPs. At the EHCP review, do the targets that haven't been met/covered get reviewed or changed? Or kept as they are because it is such a large, on going document? I haven't yet been part of an annual review so just trying to clarify everything.

5. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

If a target on an Annual review hadn't been met within the space of a year, it would suggest that in wasn't a SMART enough target. Generally, targets should not just be repeated if they are not achieved. The targets are written and evaluated on the child's IEP, so they should have been made more achievable during the year.

tick/star/smileyface likes this.
  6. tick/star/smileyface

Thank you. Aren’t some of the targets on the EHCP longer term though? Or do you mean they should be met and changed each year?

7. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Outcomes on the EHCP are long term e.g.: To improve my literacy skills so that I can access the KS1 curriculum. Using those outcomes, you would write an IEP and set short term SMART targets e.g. To be able to read 50/100 High frequency words by December 2018. If by December they had only learnt to read 10 HFW, this might suggest your target wasn't achievable enough. Rather than just repeat it next term, you might make it more achievable and set a new target, to be able to read 25/100HFW by Easter.
    Hope that makes sense!!

8. Sineadmadigan

Sineadmadigan New commenter

Do you call them ITPs or something else? Do you know why the change? Thanks :)

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We call them SSPPs, no-one seems quite sure what that stands for!

10. tick/star/smileyface

Thank you. Just getting my head around everything. Do you have to speak to your SEN lead workers To change targets on an EHCP? Is that what you mean?

11. tick/star/smileyface

We have support plans!

Sineadmadigan likes this.