1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EHCP provision help

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by honeypie1, Jun 21, 2017.

1. honeypie1

honeypie1 New commenter

Hi all,
    I am a teacher, but this is actually a personal query. I'm not a SENCo myself, so wanted to seek advice from those who are... is it ethical for a FFI coordinator at a LA to be dictating what provision goes into an EHCP? I thought it was the caseworker's duty to ensure that the EHCP contained the provision required to meet a child's needs, rather than the FFI coordinator dictating what they will pay for. I realise that in the real world this may happen, but in principle, is it not supposed to be that the needs come first and the budget follows?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I worked as a SEN teacher in a mainstream secondary school and after retirement help the SEN department there with record-keeping. In my experience, the provision and bugetary parts of the EHCP are generally left blank, but if the student had a previous Statement of Special Educational Needs, the existing diagnoses and provision would be copied into the new EHCP. A Statement might include a stipulation saying that the student was entitled to so many hours of support per week paid for by the local authority and that the school was expected to match those hours with support funded from the school's own budget. So the EHCP may indicate what has been funded in the past when the student had a Statement. EHCPs, like Statements, are reviewed by law at least once a year at a meeting attended by parents, the SENCo and a representative of the local authority where needs and provision are discussed and I would expect funding, or at least hours of support, to be discussed too in the presence of the LA rep.

You might want to peruse the current SEN Code of Practice, the "bible" of SEN practice, for further information. It can be downloaded from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/send-code-of-practice-0-to-25.