1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

EHCP advice needed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Elliechasing, Oct 25, 2020.

  1. Elliechasing

    Elliechasing New commenter

    Daughter has both Autism and ADHD. Her current mainstream school say they can "no longer meet her needs" and she is "at risk of exclusion" so we had an emergency EHCP review. The local authority say they don't have a state school or academy that can meet her needs that isn't more than a 40 minute drive away. We have an independent school near that have offered her a place but the local authority are refusing to pay the fees and I can't afford them, do the local authority have to pay them?
  2. BillyBobJoe

    BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

    I don't know but 40 minutes each way is not unreasonable (plenty of our students spend that long on the bus) and presumably the authority have to fund taxis for this.
    agathamorse likes this.
  3. Elliechasing

    Elliechasing New commenter

    I didn't think it was unreasonable but the local authority won't name the state school over 40 minutes away for that reason. They would have to fund taxis.
  4. emilystrange

    emilystrange Star commenter

    Is this the next part of the thread someone posted a couple of days ago about their daughter?
  5. Corvuscorax20

    Corvuscorax20 Star commenter

    Most of our kids come in from well over 40 minutes drive away. I would certainly not be expecting the local authority to pay for a school if they have suitable alternatives within a reasonable distance, and 40 mins is WELL within the bounds of reasonable. 80 minutes would not be unheard of. Certainly we have a few kids coming further than that.
    agathamorse likes this.
  6. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    My children travelled this far to school one with an EHCP, though eventually this child got a taxi.
    agathamorse likes this.
  7. foxtail3

    foxtail3 Star commenter

    The authority will not look at an independent school, unless they believe that there is no state school within travelling distance that meets the child’s needs. They won’t pay the fees at an independent school, but if there is no provision that meets her needs, they might have to provide transport to get to the school they offer.

    What is the outcome of the EHCP review? What is her current school doing to try to avoid the risk of exclusion?
    agathamorse likes this.
  8. hhhh

    hhhh Star commenter

    There is no longer any sixth form in the (not small) town where I live. Any student who doesn't drive probably needs to allow a couple of hours travelling time. I don't know how old OP's child is-she might only be discussing high schools- but as post-16 is now compulsory, I wonder whether there is any limit, as presumably all the children, including those with SEND, have to travel? I don't know, it just seems unlikely they'd pay for taxis, but I'm sure someone who knows more than me can let you know.
  9. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    @Elliechasing how old is your daughter?

    Presumably the EHCP names her current school as appropriate provision? It's all very well the LA saying what they can't or won't do but what are they proposing to do instead? Leave your daughter in the school she's at now until she gets permanently excluded? Then what are they going to do?

    Is the LA funding additional support at her current school an option? It's getting common for mainstream schools to make 'threats' that they're going to exclude as a way of getting more funding from the LA. (It doesn't necessarily work for them though!)

    It's OP's first post so unless she's posting under two usernames it isn't linked to a previous thread.
    nomad likes this.
  10. emilystrange

    emilystrange Star commenter

    that was sort of the point
    ilovesooty and nomad like this.
  11. TheOracleAtDelphi

    TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

    Are the other schools some kind of specialist provision or a school with an SRB or something or are you in a really rural area and there aren't any other nearby schools apart from the one that she is currently at? The reason that I ask is that, although my information might be out of date, there seemed to be a strong network of provided transport of taxis, minibuses etc., often with an escort as well as a driver, already in place so it might be relatively straightforward for the LA to arrange transport if it's a specialist provision that has children travelling from a wide area...
  12. nomad

    nomad Star commenter

    I am not a cynic but,...

    New poster...

    Weekend post...


    Deja vu?
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    No. And I'd be surprised at a mainstream independent offering a place to a child at risk of exclusion due to their SEND.
    Provision for SEND in independent schools tends to be only for low level needs, which clearly isn't the case for your daughter. Any extra support, such as 1:1 LSA and so on is paid for on top of fees, by parents.
    If your daughter already has an EHCP and is still at risk of exclusion, the cost of providing appropriate support in an independent will be extortionate.
    nizebaby and nomad like this.

Share This Page