1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Egyptians, cross-curricular help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EngineGirl, May 6, 2012.

1. I'm currently on placement for my PGCE and I've been given the task of planning all of the science. The children are studying the Egyptians and the science needs to be linked to this. We are covering grouping and changing materials but I'm lacking inspiration on how to link this to Egyptians. My mentor suggested making it quite 'craft' based but I'm struggling for ideas. There are lots of Egyptian arts and crafts ideas however I can't see how I can link this to changing materials.

Any ideas?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

For sorting - could you look at materials used in building? Look at materials used in buildings today and what materials were available to the Eygptians. How many ways can they be sorted?
    For changing materials - would paper making be an idea to consider? Not sure that you could get hold of any papyrus plants, but perhaps other ways of making paper? Haven't ever taught this unit so I'm not sure if this fits the bill or not.

3. bigwig2404

bigwig2404 New commenter

Have a look at this article on Teach Primary which links Egyptian topic work to Science and see if there are any ideas that could help.
    http://www.teachprimary.com/resource_uploads/pyramid-scheme.pdf

Hope link works.

4. bigwig2404

bigwig2404 New commenter

Have a look at this article on Teach Primary which links Egyptian topic work to Science and see if there are any ideas that could help.
    http://www.teachprimary.com/resource_uploads/pyramid-scheme.pdf

Hope link works.

5. I think I'm going to do some sort of investigation to do with building materials, which would be best, sorting, describing etc. I have high EAL so something practical like that with lots of language would be great. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Thanks for that link, lots of good ideas I can put into my plans from that!