1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Egyptian Management

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by SMT dude, Mar 16, 2011.

1. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

well, but of course.
    There are only bad experiences to be had from SMT, and even when you become one, you can still end up giving yourself a bad experience.
    Like Dylan Thomas who just before passing out in the Fitzroy Tavern one night, mumbled, "Somebuddy's borin' mee... an' I think it's me..."
    Just accept that SMT types occupy a spectrum from 'unspeakable deranged would-be autocrat' through 'blithering idiot', to 'mediocre jargon-spouter', to 'who?'
    Mostly you can treat their bleatings and bullyings as background noise, while you get on with the job. As when you were an adolescent with serious projects in life, having to ignore parental moanings about tidiness, personal hygiene, homework and the mortal peril involved in everything you really wanted to do.
    Also bear in mind that the acronym SMT is passing out of fashion.
    Soon they will all be called Learning Leadership Groups, and presto!
    ...just as all the 'spastics' and 'cripples' in the world stood up and danced the tango once it was agreed to call them 'differently abled', so the change of title will turn every school leader into a modest, industrious, selfless, smiling, charming, empowering, enabling, facilitating and just right-down gorgeously loveable person, going the extra mile so that you can be the person you want to be.
    Enough - time for some serious input from the large Cairo community here.
    But do you know, I reckon they'll probably bring us the unsurprising news that there are all sorts of schools, and all sorts of SMT types, in Cairo. Watch this space.

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

SMT at said school are good
    Head of secondary is a good guy and an even better rugby player [​IMG]

3. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

There is a short answer and a long answer. The long answer is "it depends".

4. [​IMG] he he he lol

sorry, couldn't help myself

5. Actually I think SMT dude said it all quite well.
    The school is ok and I've seen far far worse SMT elsewhere in this city so I don't believe you'll have many problems.

6. Thanks for all the inforamation. Really don't watt to go where the SMT are distant and unapproachable. Not when I'll be far from home.
    Pyramids SMT sound good. Or are they???

7. Good or bad is a matter of personal opinion so I can't comment upon that. They are approachable and it is quite easy to get to speak to a member of SMT whenever you want to.
    If I were you, I'd concentrate more upon trying to fit in with your immediate colleagues; which is easy at this school since they are generally a friendly bunch.
    Good luck.

8. Thanks mr takethat! I will accept their offer then. I must admit they seemed to have their head screwed on. I know SMT aren't the most important thing but they've made my life he'll before. You seem to think they ar cool.
    Many thanks
    If you can give me more advice I am all ears

9. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Sorry about the AA blunder. Mind on other things!

10. Getting rid of the empty bottles..

11. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Don't remember ITMA live, but 'Round the Horne' and 'The Navy Lark' are pleasant memories! Hey Ho!!

12. I don't remember the wireless....

13. bigfatgit

Alpha, who you calling a ho'?

14. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

No one. End of message sigh! What's a 'ho''?

15. bigfatgit

Alpha,
    1 across (5 letters)
    Lady of ill-repute
    Sounds like "whose beard with age is ____"-Coleridge