1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Egypt

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Penny10p, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

What's it like living and teaching in Cairo?

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Depends on the school, salary, location of school / where you live, your type of lifestyle etc

Apart from that, it is a pretty easy question to answer

Drop me a personal message (or whatever they are calling it now) if you want

3. topgirl1

topgirl1 Occasional commenter

Laid back lifestyle but hard to transfer money to UK

Mermaid7 likes this.
  4. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Don't even think about it... becoming more and more difficult to live in Egypt,
    30% inflation, 40% increase in electricity prices, 50% increase in petrol prices, difficulty in sending money out of Egypt, there are far better places to live and work!

5. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

Hard to transfer money, but not impossible (as with everything in Egypt, there are ways around it depending on your school.) Don't know what prices are like now (we left in June), but even with inflation it was still cheaper than the UK. Only crazy people drive in Egypt so the cost of fuel didn't bother me (and if you're from the UK it's still much, much cheaper!)

One thing to watch is that there are a lot of c r a p schools in Egypt as well as a lot of good ones. Be sure that you're in the right school before you go otherwise it will be a long two years.

PM / 'conversation' me if you want more info!

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

'Only crazy people drive in Egypt.'

My wife and I drove there for three years (without incident) once you get used to the local rules (i.e. there aren't any) its easy! The funniest thing was buying an old Pajero (22 years old) for 10,000 pounds and selling it three years later for the same amount, equally odd; for cash, in small bills, in a plastic carrier bag!

The joys of living abroad!

7. thecraicis90

thecraicis90 New commenter

That's honest a little negative a negative and sensationalist......it's very easy indeed with CIS bank to transfer UK Pounds out of the country

8. thecraicis90

thecraicis90 New commenter

sorry, 'honestly'....

9. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

And all schools bank with CIS bank?

Everything that I said is true e.g. it is difficult transferring money out of the country. Furthermore, the increase in electricity, fuel and inflation is also true... so I don't see what your issue is...?

Are you aware of the issues that some top international schools are having with the ministry of education?

I know many single females who have had problems living in Cairo e.g. walking down the streets of Maadi and being called a pig by a group of local men because she ignored their sexual advances!

Have you read the recent comments from the Egyptian politican who said that it's a national duty to rape women who are wearing ripped jeans? Or how about the stamp down on people in the LBGT community?

10. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

If I told you some of the things I have experienced and heard of then you would not continue reading the complete paragraph.

Even then, there are good places that pay well. Just avoid a school owned or managed by locals.

11. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

Do you mean CIB Bank? (****Bangs head on wall remembering sheer frustration****)

12. Jessaki

Jessaki Occasional commenter

I just left Cairo and million pound tax free 1 year contract couldn't drag me back there. I agree with what Jason_Bourne has said. Depending on the bank your school use, the rules change all the time, they block the amount of money you can withdraw on your card abroad - which coupled with making it more and more difficult to transfer money abroad, you can find yourself on holiday without access to your money because you have withdrawn your $300 monthly limit

As for single women...I agree too. Unless you have thick skin and can ignore being stared at, receiving unwanted text messages with photos, constantly being harassed walking down the street, people taking photos of you, then you will find it difficult. Lets not forget all the rubbish everywhere, chaotic driving and appalling animal cruelty. No thank you!

That being said, there are some lovely and kind people there and some beautiful places. But I would never ever live there again.

13. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Last week i transferred $30,000 out of the country no problem at all - filled in the forms, signed them. 5 days later sitting in my offshore bank account.

For those of you complaining about the price increases; did you forget that your pay went up by more than 100% overnight with the flotation of the LE? 8LE to $1 when you went to bed, woke up and it was 18.5LE to the $

Been here a long time and a lot of things for foreigners (ie getting paid in hard currency) now cost less than 20 years ago in real terms

When the ACE opened almost 20 years ago, a beer cost the equivalent of $2, now it's $1.70 despite tripling in price in LE

A taxi from New Cairo to Maadi (20km) is a massive rip-off at 45LE including tip. You're more than double that just to sit in a taxi back in the UK

Sexual harassment is never good but at least the penalties are increasing and the authorities are beginning to act - that slug of a lawyer who said it "was a national duty to rape girls who wear ripped jeans" just got 3 years hard labour. Not long enough in my opinion but it's a start

14. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Last week i transferred $30,000 out of the country no problem at all - filled in the forms, signed them. 5 days later sitting in my offshore bank account.

For those of you complaining about the price increases; did you forget that your pay went up by more than 100% overnight with the flotation of the LE? 8LE to $1 when you went to bed, woke up and it was 18.5LE to the $

Been here a long time and a lot of things for foreigners (ie getting paid in hard currency) now cost less than 20 years ago in real terms

When the ACE opened almost 20 years ago, a beer cost the equivalent of $2, now it's $1.70 despite tripling in price in LE

A taxi from New Cairo to Maadi (20km) is a massive rip-off at 45LE including tip. You're more than double that just to sit in a taxi back in the UK

Sexual harassment is never good but at least the penalties are increasing and the authorities are beginning to act - that slug of a lawyer who said it "was a national duty to rape girls who wear ripped jeans" just got 3 years hard labour. Not long enough in my opinion but it's a start

15. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

16. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

17. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Blimey! You wait ages for a Bigfatgit to come along, then 4 come at once

Sorry about that!

Mermaid7, Shiny18, rouxx and 2 others like this.
  18. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

And as always lots of common sense from the bfg, different people have different experiences and they also look back and recall them and assess them differently, just look at the dumbell and his time in Spain!

19. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Now now...dont get me started again...otherwise miketribe will get upset that people will know the truth about Spain ;)

20. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Quite right, dumbells old Cato. This bloody country is perennially marketed as 'Sunny Spain' and it's -3 Celsius on our terrace as I write. I blame NABSS.