1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Egypt topic for SLD class

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Blue_dime, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Blue_dime

Blue_dime New commenter

I have a class for children with Severe Learning Difficulties and have been asked to cover the topic of Ancient Egypt. I really want to make this as experiential and multisensory as possible and am looking for some practical activities which we can attempt - any ideas. Much of what I have found so far is based upon gods/goddesses, pharoahs, mummies etc all of which seem a little too abstract for my little lovelies. Can anyone help?

2. Blue_dime

Blue_dime New commenter

Bump - please help!!!

3. What about sand and water mixing and building for desert landscapes and pyramids? Wrapping dolls in bandages to make mummies and making their treasure? Sand dances to Egyptian style music? Names written in hieroglyphics?

4. Were cats really important in Ancient Egypt? Might have some relevance to them? I suppose you aren't really teaching facts about Ancient Egyptthe topic is just a vehicle for the skills you want to teach? So say story retelling, Moses and the bullrushes, i love the plague stories!!! 3D shape, to link in with pyramids. You do start to question the relevance of teaching children with severe LD topics that are so abstract what about life skills?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

What idiot has asked you to do this?

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Why o why can't children be taught what is appropriate for their needs and not to fit some greater totally inappropriate plan? Sorry OP doesn't help you at all ... are you expected to cover it as a topic (cross curricula) or as a separate "history" unit?

7. Blue_dime

Blue_dime New commenter

A separate history unit but to make links where we can

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter