1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Egypt or Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by chrissyLissy, Apr 8, 2019.

1. chrissyLissy

chrissyLissy New commenter

Hi all, Wonder what peoples thoughts are. I have been offered a job in Egypt which looks like a good deal and a very good school. Package is what I was looking for. I have now been sent an interview request for a school in Qatar. An international school linked to a very big company for employees children in a nice suburb of Doha. Obviously I may not get the job and therefore not have a decision to make but wondered whether people found Egypt or Qatar a better standard of living for young kids? a better opportunity to save? a better opportunity for overall teaching? Both schools seem to be very good ie reputation but that is hard to gauge.

2. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

I've sent you a PM.

3. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

No brainer. Qatar if you are female Or with kids. Definitely if it's the first time working abroad.

Btw, nice suburb in Qatar? Do you mean compound?

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Qatar.

5. chrissyLissy

I'm not sure re compound? It would be in Al Khor

6. Bentley51

Bentley51 Occasional commenter

Qatar.

7. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

Having lived in both there are lots of pros and cons for each..

Egypt has a rich and deep culture and history that is absolutely fascinating. If you love history you will love egypt. Food is cheap and has some amazing areas of natural beauty from the white deserts, mountains of Sinai and then the stunning beaches in the Mediterranean and red sea (diving here is just on another level). HOWEVER I'm assuming you will be living in cairo? Therefore pollution and congestion is a real issue (over 17 million people in cairo alone! Qatar (Doha) has traffic but nothing on the scale of Cairo. Qatar on the other hand is more safer and cleaner and better to raise a young family. It is however much more expensive to live. Weign it all up and hope for the best. My preference is Qatar.

8. chrissyLissy

It would be Alexandria not Cairo. Would that make a difference?

9. Jessaki

Jessaki Occasional commenter

I lived in Cairo for one year. I love history, I even have an MA in Ancient History and I hated Cairo. I also hated Alexandria. Too much pollution, too much litter everywhere, appalling animal cruelty, crazy driving and as a single woman, far too much harassment - even to the point that I didn't enjoy visiting the historical sites. The pollution, litter, traffic and animal cruelty doesn't affect all people the same and some I know have lived there happily for many years. I found it draining and I have no plans to return any time soon. And I am not a sensitive wallflower, I have lived in many other countries, but I found the litter and the animal cruelty completely draining....I am glad I left. There are some beautiful places in Egypt and some very nice people there too. But it definitely was not for me.

agcb256 likes this.
  10. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Al Khor is nice and quiet but far from Doha. You would need a car. Accomodation is good there and cheap

11. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Yes. I was wavering between the two, but now would definitely say Qatar. Alexandria is extremely dull.

12. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

Alex is definitely more quieter than Cairo but away from the corniche and towards thetinner part of thetcity it's just like Cairo. but you do have the advantage of escaping to the sea unlike Cairo. The northern med coast is simply amazing especially if you head west towards Libya.

chrissyLissy likes this.
  13. Bentley51

Bentley51 Occasional commenter

I spent one week in Egypt and that has sorted me for life.

14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Mrs Hippopotamus and her overweight husband were in the Land of the Nile for two years. Yes, it was fun, even though I was teaching at the school for ex-alcholics, under the infamous Mr Black. Ho hum. It was a few years ago now. On the road into Heliopolis, you could see a huge, black cloud of pollution hanging over Cairo.

chrissyLissy likes this.
  15. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

We were in Alex for a couple of years which seemed about right. We were relatively happy there and relatively happy to move on.

chrissyLissy likes this.
  16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Qatar or Egypt? Apples or oranges? Even though they are both supposed to be in the Middle East, in many ways they are quite different.

Yes, there is some real poverty and Third World stuff in Egypt. I remember seeing street children sleeping on pieces of cardboard, just round the corner from the presidential palace in Heliopolis.Sometimes the begging, the desperation and general tattiness of Egypt gets a bit too much.

Qatar, on the other hand, has a nasty and mean side, but usually the Qataris keep it all out of sight. Most foreigners are never allowed anywhere near any of the dreadful labour camps, as they are out in the desert, away from Western eyes. An engineer friend of mine said that the conditions in some of the camps were like a gulag or a concentration camp. And let's not forget that the ******* Qatari owners of Villaggio were never prosecuted after that terrible fire. I had a few South African friends who were working in the Doha Fire Dept and they said that the Villaggio owners had been warned repeatedly that their fire safety standards were not good enough.

chrissyLissy and Bentley89 like this.