1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

egypt interview

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Diddysan, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

I have an interview via skype for a position in Cairo. Can anyone give me some guidance as to what salary range would be considered acceptable? Also, what are costs like? Driving? Car ownership and anything else you think I might need to know. I have read much online but would love to hear from some of you with first hand reports.

Thanks

2. Salary varies somewhat, the better schools pay UK salary or close plus health insurance, flights and accommodation allowance. You can live pretty cheaply.

When I bought my car, some years ago it was cheaper than in the UK at around 8000 GBP, but it depends what you go for. Cars tend to keep their value so I bought new, also you don't know what you're getting if you buy secondhand. But it will get bashed. Petrol is dead cheap. Lots of people don;t bother with cars, they use the school buses to get to work and taxis for other journeys around Cairo.

Good luck with the interview.

3. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

thanks....... any particular number figures I should know insofar as rent etc...