1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Egypt: Duty and Taxes

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by holmes5668, Mar 8, 2011.

1. I'll be arriving in Cairo mid-August. The school says we arrive on landing visas and work permits should be ready immediately after we arrive.
    Here's my question; I am bringing a bunch of guitars, a keyboard and some other musical stuff as excess baggage. I understand there is a difference between how these items would be treated for duty depending on whether I arrive with a work permit or not. With a work permit, the goods would be personal items and therefore duty free. Without a work permit they would require duty paying (at, I beleive 40 or 50%). This maybe wrong, but this is the impression I am getting (gald to be corrected).
    Anybody had any experience of this in Egypt?
    I'm wondering if it's not worth leaving some of the stuff in the UK until I definitely have a work permit and then bring it over (maybe at Christmas).

2. While we are on the subject of duty and taxes, does Drinkies (or another similar business) have a website?

3. *Believe, *glad and possibly *may be.

4. My experience was that our work visas were issued about 2 months after we arrived. My understanding is that no one can get a work visa for Egypt until you have arrived and take the government HIV test. However with the current sittuation this might change?? Some staff at my school arrived in August and did not get work visa'a issued until January. It is quite easy to exit and re-enter on tourist visas.

We brought limited "stuff"with us by air freight using Pickfords UK and their Egyptian company Quick Cargo were very helpful and efficient. We paid hardly any duty but we mainly had books, clothes and teaching resources. Other staff I know who shipped stuff had to wait along time (2-3 months) to get through customs at the ports and then had substatial duty costs for items like diving equipment, furniture, instruments etc. This could all change and become easier or harder over the next few months?? I remember that Pickfords gave us a very helpful list of the amount of duty to be paid for various items - it might be on their website?

5. Ooh, Holmes that's a toughie. A bunch of guitars - who are you - Nigel Tufnel????
    I can only give you 'if it were me answer'. Think I would go for a couple of guitars and wait for Christmas. Will you have people at your school greeting you? They could ease passage..
    Ex-pats very, very rarely get caught for taxes on items coming in through customs. Egyptians get stopped all the time as they are far more likely to be bringing in stuff to sell as opposed to ex-pats that don't.
    In fact, I don't know of any ex-pats who have been stopped, but I don't know about bunches of guitar and keyboards either. That would be another first.

6. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

When we taught in Alex a few years ago, one teacher brought a used desktop computer in with him (in a box) and got hit for taxes/duty. We (foolishly) shipped in 2 cubic meters of personal belongings (no electronics) and ended up paying around 3000 Egyptian pounds: 1000 for duties/taxes, 1000 to the agent that cleared it and 1000 doled out little by little to each window we went to. In the end, we felt relieved to get our stuff as we had heard horror stories about people having their shipment sent to Cairo so they could go through each item, video etc.

7. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

I have personally carried in Guitars, a Bass Clarinet, Alto Sax, Recorders and some music electronics on a visit visa. Never had any probs, but with all things here - every case is different. Good luck!

8. According to this; http://www.astro-movers.com/customforms/egypt.pdf ,
    I have receipts (surely they mean receipts, not invoices) for most of it. I'm not shipping anything. I used to own an import business in Canada. Canada Customs used to scare the living day lights out of me, so I definitely don't want to deal with importing to Egypt. Plus the school pays for excess baggage.
    I think it might be wise to dribble it in. I'll be home for Christmas and I am expecting a continual stream of UK and Canadian relatives. Usually thay just bring Marmite and Vodka.

9. A fine drink for keeping you warm climbing mountains.
    And then falling off them.