1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eggy mess

Discussion in 'Personal' started by huevosrancheros, Mar 2, 2011.

1. I am rarely whisked into a frenzy, however, I do care a lot about my younger sister, who tragically married a man she met at a biscuit factory and then divorced after having one son now aged 12.
    A large fat American who teaches in a private school in the UK, some 20 years her senior, came into her life about 2 years ago and now they plan to be married. She is to be flown to the States for this happy event, and despite asking for family to come, including my daughter as bridesmaid, the American's can't accommodate and don't want to! |( We were prepared to pay for this).
    In his dismissal of anyone British at his big Fat Jewish Wedding ( my sister RC), he stated by email that my sister was "vulnerable but would put on a good show", and that there was no room at the inn as 40 people he hadn't seen since 1982 had already agreed to come to the wedding.
    Could this man be a biggot?

2. I am rarely whisked into a frenzy, however, I do care a lot about my younger sister, who tragically married a man she met at a biscuit factory and then divorced after having one son now aged 12.
    A large fat American who teaches in a private school in the UK, some 20 years her senior, came into her life about 2 years ago and now they plan to be married. She is to be flown to the States for this happy event, and despite asking for family to come, including my daughter as bridesmaid, the American's can't accommodate and don't want to! |( We were prepared to pay for this).
    In his dismissal of anyone British at his big Fat Jewish Wedding ( my sister RC), he stated by email that my sister was "vulnerable but would put on a good show", and that there was no room at the inn as 40 people he hadn't seen since 1982 had already agreed to come to the wedding.
    Could this man be a biggot?

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Are you sure this is a match made in heaven? I think it might be time to assert your independence. Tell them you will be there and it will be no yolk if things are not tikkety-boo.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Is that a larger version of a bigot?

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I suppose if a big bigot is a biggot, then a big fat bigot might be deemed a ***, but I I'm led to believe this term has different connotations in America ;-)

6. magic surf bus

Oh go work it out for yourselves - treat it as a crossword clue.

7. harsh-but-fair

8. harsh-but-fair

9. magic surf bus

..is the correct answer HBF. And a bonus point for the 'Pork' which fits well with the description provided in the OP, but which would probably be even less welcome at the wedding than the bride's family by all accounts.

10. Does your sister have no say in who comes to her own wedding?
    Seems a bad start to a marriage.
    I wonder whether he has picked up on your disdain for him?
    Big, fat American not being the most flattering description?

11. I bet he's lying about the forty max guest list.

He just doesn't like you.
    All the more reason to crash the wedding, IMO.