1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eggs!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Aug 2, 2012.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I am lucky to keep my own chickens, and they repay me by converting scraps of food and stale bread (their favourite) into yummy eggs. Totally free range and almost organic!
    Just now my daughter had prepared for me a boiled egg that was laid this morning. so fresh it was still warm when she collected it. She brought it straight to the kitchen and made boiled eggs immediately.
    It was quite the nicest egg I've ever eaten! Deep yellow, dippy yolk and firm, fresh white. Oh my!
    I rarely get to eat eggs on the day they are laid. Must do it more often.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I love eggs and eat many. Now that everyone has forgotten what that lunatic Curry did when she decimated the egg industry and that the health police now know that eggs aren't bad for you, I happily eat them a few times a week.
    I love them fried, poached, boiled, scrambled (although most people make awful scrambled eggs - there should NEVER be a thin, watery fluid surrounding rubbery coagulated lumps. This is a crime, not food. They should be soft, creamy and curd-like), omelettes, frittatas, tortillas, rancheros, eggy-bread, egg-mayo butties, however they come.
    They are the ultimate in fast-food. Quick to prepare, nutritious and delicious.
    One of our favourites is baked eggs 'en-cocotte', dressed with a little leftover meat-resting juices, gravy or even better, leftover coq-au-vin gravy. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Molly loves eggs too. She has a one egg omelette for tea or breakfast at least twice a week. In fact, 'egg' was her second word. After 'cheese'! That's my girl!

3. BelleDuJour

If you are lucky nick.....very lucky.....I'll slip you half a dozen when you come for lunch later this month! [​IMG]

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

[​IMG]

5. Yes!! That is how I do mine - can't bear them when scrambled to a dry,solid, inedible mess.

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

mine always stick to the bottom of the pan, no matter how much I grease the pan first and how gently I cook them. I stir all the time too-any hints for successtul non stick scrambled eggs would be greatly appreciated.

7. Mine do too sparkle, but I soak the pan in cold water immediately and then give it a scrub with wire wool and it takes seconds to clean.
    PS....it is not a non stick pan!

8. BelleDuJour

I scramble my eggs in a large non-stick frying pan over a low heat, stirring all the time. Much more even cooking over the larger surface area of a frying pan.

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

This is how I make my scrambled eggs. It's a method based on one I picked up from Gordon Ramsey. I don't usually take much notice of the man but this recipe is failsafe and produces the best scrambled eggs but I have made a few adjustments of my own. There are a few rules:
    1. Do NOT beat the eggs before putting in the pan. If they are broken up or whisked first, they will not be as creamy (there is a scientific reason for this which I've forgotten. Similarly, do NOT season til the very end. The salt can react with the yolk and make it less creamy.
    2. For 2 people, break 4 eggs directly into a non-stick, heavy saucepan (or a frying pan - much quicker) and add a thick slice of unsalted butter.
    3. Place over a high heat and start stirring gently straight away. Stir constantly, controlling the heat by removing from the flame occasionally rather than adjusting the flame.
    4. Keep scrambling until soft, curds have formed (it will take up to 15 minutes in a saucepan, quicker in a frying pan) and stop cooking when the eggs are just undercooked (this will make sense in a moment) and add either a drop of cold milk, cream or creme fraiche to bring the temperature down and stop the eggs from cooking futher. If your pan holds a lot of residual heat, it's a good idea to place it in a basin of cold water to ensure the eggs cook no longer at this stage.
    5. With the eggs resting off the flame, now cook your toast and and call everyone to the table. Scrambled eggs should wait for neither man nor toast. Get someone else to make the coffee or tea.
    6. With toast buttered and on hot plates, season the eggs to taste with salt and black pepper and warm through on a high flame, still stirring, to finish cooking (be careful not to overcook) til just set - creamy and curd-like.
    7. Serve on or next to toast and demolish!
    If you want to be naughty, add another **** of butter when you add the cream or milk. Delicious. I always reason that I'm not having bacon/sausages/fried bread etc. so I can allow myself a little more butter!

10. BelleDuJour

Blimey nick................I'd lose the will to live (and my appetite) after that slog!
    I whisk eggs first, add a glug of milk, season, butter in big non-stick frying pan, low, low heat and stir. Takes time yes, but produces beautiful, creamy eggs. If the heat is low enough, I can leave the eggs cooking without constantly standing over them while I make tea, toast and crispy bacon, just returning every few minutes to give a good stir.
    I'm not sure about the science of creaminess vs whisking before or after as never heard that before, but would be interested to find out.

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's more my waffling that make it look time-consuming. It's not really! Chuck eggs in pan, add butter and scramble, stop for a bit, finish them off. Done!
    It's something to do with the whisking process affecting the proteins in the eggs and how they then bhave when heated. I'm sure the effect is fairly minimal, as most people whisk eggs before scrambling and have perfectly good results, but I find this method does produce very creamy eggs.

12. BelleDuJour

I think you'll find it's the large slab of butter that does that!
    Ah. Well I only give a quick whisk with a fork, but as a scientist I cannot see how mechanical forces can affect the chemical structure of proteins, but can bore the pants off you about the effect of heat on protein structure! [​IMG]

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I've just done shakshouka for o/h's breakfast. Before anyone asks, he's on nights this week!

14. anteater

anteater New commenter

One of the few culinary disputes we have in our house is whether there should be milk used in scrambled eggs: I don't use any and he does. I can't taste the difference though, so I don't suppose it actually matters!

15. BelleDuJour

I don't think it alters the actual taste, but it does make the eggs a little 'softer' and makes them go a tiny bit further so even more yummy eggs.

16. I don't like scrambled eggs without milk or mineral water. They taste to me like rubber.
    My method (sorry, nick, yours would drive me mad!).
    Two eggs per person broken into a jug, a glug of milk or water, whisk and add S + P (and sometimes some herbs).
    Heat a large frying pan with a tiny bit of butter or oil, when very hot, turn the heat to very low and add the eggs.
    Do nothing.
    Wait a minute, stir the eggs.
    Do nothing.
    Wait a minute, stir again.
    If you are going to add cheese, prawns, ham or anything else do it now.
    Stir.
    Wait a minute.
    Stir.
    When the eggs are still slightly runny (but when that pale liquid watery stuff is gone), remove to plate.
    By the time they are on the table, they are perfectly cooked (as the residual heat continues to cook them).
    I put my toast on BEFORE I start with the eggs.
    When I say stir , I don't mean stir as you would stir a soup. It is more a pushing and pulling.

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's no more time-consuming than your method. Less than 5 minutes in a frying pan.
    It only looks lengthy because of the waffle I've put into typing it.
    It's obvious everyone has their own method. I think it's great that everyone does it their own way and achieves their own great results.
    Still on the subject of eggs, we had fried eggs on toast for breakfast yesterday. Fried til crispy in olive oil, the fat spooned over the yolk til it just clouded over, on hot buttered toast with plenty of s&p and a mug of good coffee. What a treat!

18. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I concur entirely with nick. After I watched Gordon Ramsey cooking his scrambled eggs, I've never done it differently. It takes no time at all, as you can see here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Thanks for finding the link, MM. Indeed - less than 5 minutes.

20. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Who cares about the method as long as you are happy with the end result?