1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eggs

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by beckycharles, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Hello lovely cookery forum folk!
    Just a quick question, i've got some eggs with a use by date of the 25th june, will these be ok for baking with? I've dropped them into water and they sink, but i can't remember what that means!!
    Thanks in advance,
    Becky

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

They'll be fine.

3. Thanks, i decided to go for it!!

4. No need to worry whatsoever - they will be cooked whilst baking [​IMG]

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I remember reading a students' guide to cooking by ***** Rushton in my younger days. He described how to test if an egg was edible.
    He said:
    "Place it in a bowl or water. A fresh egg will lie horizontal.
    If it tilts upwards slightly, it's getting on a bit but still in with a chance.
    If it floats, It's high time you entered politics and threw it at at Tory politician."

6. The best way to test if an egg is ok is to crack it and smell it.
    If an egg is rotten, you will smell it!
    I know lapin has good tips on bacteria and those that don't smell etc. but I must admit, I rely on my nose and the tip of my tongue.

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'm preaching to the converted. but one little plea...
    When cracking eggs, <u>always</u> crack them one at a time into a cup before adding to the cake mix......I still recall a school mate making a three eggcake mix - and cracking the three eggs directly into the mix...unfortunately, the third egg was rather obviously 'off' !

8. As long as they don't float you will be fine.

If they sink and lie on the long edge they are really fresh, as they get older more air getsinto the egg and they start to tip on edge, if they float they are off. Don't crack a floating egg to see if it is off - you will be left with the smell for months.

9. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Eggs that float aren't necessarily off. They're just not especially fresh. They might be no use for poaching or frying, but still perfectly good for baking, boiling, scrambling or omeletting (and if that's not a word, it should be!).
    The only way to tell, as mentioned above, is to smell.
    I've actually never had an off egg, in all my years of cooking - you'd have to leave it some serious time for it to go rotten, I'd have thought.

10. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

*DO NOT READ IF SQUEAMISH- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!*
    Me neither- though I did once witness my mother cracking an egg into the frying pan and there being a teeny chicken foetus in there- I was very small at the time and recall that there was a lot of screetching from us kids and my mother, and that we had sausages instead. I guess there are some disadvantages to getting our eggs directly from the village farm- you can't necessarily tell if the hen's been putting herself about a bit, unlike in a factory setting ;) Thankfully, I've never seen that again.

11. The cupcakes are delicious!! Thanks all x