1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Egg whites

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sparklepig2002, Sep 16, 2019.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Hello. I have four egg whites to use up. What can I make with them apart from pavlova?
    Thank you.

2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I'm struggling to come up with much more than egg white omelettes (yuk. Why?) or meringue in some form.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I would throw caution to the wind and make Baked Alaska. Its been over 20yrs since I last covered sponge, fruit and ice cream with stiff whipped meringue, sprinkle with sugar and bake in an very hot oven till golden brown.

4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

5. sparklepig2002

Many thanks. Funnily enough, my son has just said he's never had a Baked Alaska-dont know what made him think of that, so that's what I'll do. Thank you for your replies.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I put them in the freezer and use the next time I want to make pavlova.

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Financiers are lovely and very easy-cakey almondy thing. You can find lots of recipes online-they all need egg white as opposed to the whole egg. I like the look of the blackberry one.
    When I make them, I use less sugar than in the recipe, and then drizzle them while still warm with a smidgen of undiluted cherry cordial which I discovered in the Polish food section in the supermarket. Nom.
    Two noms if you serve with cream.

sparklepig2002 and primarycat like this.
  9. sparklepig2002

Thank you for all your delicious sounding recipes. :)

10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

You can make a lovely light mayonnaise with egg white. I'll ask nizeman for the (extremely simple) recipe. It'll be online.

11. sparklepig2002

Thank you.

nizebaby likes this.