1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Egg related lessons?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pigginkt, Oct 23, 2011.

1. pigginkt

pigginkt New commenter

Hey all,
    My power of reading book for next term is 'Egg Drop' so I'm wanting to do topic related lessons based around eggs... so far I've thought of:

- Science experiments/TASC days: Testing materials to drop an egg onto without breaking, how to 'put back together' egg shells using different ideas from the book (blu tac, glue, tomato soup (!), testing how much weight an egg will hold

- Cooking: Make a variety of different eggs (poached, fried, boiled etc), 'Egg' recipes

- Art: Decorating eggs, egg shell mosaics

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

2. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

I have nothing to contribute, sorry, but i just want to say a huge thank you. I have a science obs next term linked to my teeth and healthy eating topic. We have done the 'putting eggs in different liquids' and I was really stumped as to what I could do, until i read the 'drop an egg without breaking' investigation,. I am going to steal it. Thank you!

3. What about where eggs come from? I'm not being facetious but you could look at the husbandry element of chicken-rearing etc.

4. pigginkt

pigginkt New commenter

Hehe, glad to be of help! :)

5. pigginkt

pigginkt New commenter

Oooh good idea, thank you :)

6. How about the experiment when you put a lit match in a bottle, place an egg on top and watch the egg be sucked in?

7. pigginkt

pigginkt New commenter

Ooh sounds interesting... what would be the objective?

8. CB123

CB123 New commenter

9. Whenever i've done it the objective has been mostly observation based using ICT. (Flip cameras slowed down to see each frame as it happens so quickly) and describing what they can see happening. But with the upper juniors you would look at how lack of oxygen creates a vacuum.

10. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

How about decorated eggs - like faberge? Make an egg hunt using co-ordinates? Egg treasure maps?? (eggs marks the spot, har har!!) How many eggsellent puns can they come up with?!

11. The "naked egg" is a nice one, place an uncooked egg in a jar of vinegar and the shell will dissolve but the membrane will stay in-tact.

Blue fried egg- separate the yolk and white, add red cabbage juice to the white, it acts as a ph indicator and turns blue, then fry it. Perfectly edible and nice for Halloween.

You could also look at eggs that different animals lay. Ostrich being the biggest, hummingbird the smallest and the kiwi lays the largest egg in ratio to its body (ouch!)

Hope that helps.