1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Egg allergy - science teeth experiment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bex900, Jul 26, 2017.

1. bex900

bex900 New commenter

In year 4, we usually do the 'tooth decay experiment' where we put boiled eggs in different liquids to see what happens to the shell (an alternative for tooth enamel). However, I have a child in my class next year with a serious egg allergy so using eggs is out of the question.
    Has anyone ever used an alternative (when I was a pupil we used classmate's teeth but guessing that might not be ok now!?) or have an idea for a different experiment I could use?

Many thanks

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Ask any kids to donate any teeth they may have kept?

Buy teeth online... ahaha! I bet you could get animal teeth pretty easily if using the human ones sounds a tad morbid.

3. sallylou

sallylou New commenter

Ask your dentist. They may help.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I was going to suggest asking a dentist near school.
    They often have teeth or false teeth they can give you.
    They might well offer a visit as well, we certainly went to visit last year and had a good look round and explore of the various surgeries.

5. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

I'm not asking you to argue with a parent or anything, but I'm wondering if it's worth asking the parent their opinion. Surely they are allergic to eating eggs? Would seeing an egg hurt them? How about handling them? I'm only asking because one of my children had an egg allergy but it was only to eating them.

abacus1982 likes this.
  6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Talk to the parent would also be my advice. My daughter is allergic to eggs and will come out in hives if she touches them but it is only raw or undercooked eggs, she'd be fine with hard boiled. Each allergy is different.

galerider123 likes this.
  7. pricey4

pricey4 New commenter

You could just find a nice long video on the internet to show them instead.

8. bex900

bex900 New commenter

Thank you for the feedback.

Unfortunately the allergy is very serious so there is no way I would want to risk having eggs in the classroom. We usually have the eggs around for a couple of weeks and during science lessons we set up the experiment, observe and write up so the children would need to see and touch the eggs.
    I will contact a local dentist and see what they think.

Thanks again.

galerider123 likes this.