1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EFL in Madrid

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by hoblos, May 1, 2011.

1. Hi,

Thinking of heading for Madrid in September/October to teach EFL. Have PGCE, CELTA and 10 years of experience.
    Have lived in Madrid previously and loved it.

Can I make a living out of English teaching in Madrid after building up contacts and getting established over a 2 year period?

I already know about the requirements when going freelance regarding tax etc. and on cost of accommodation and living expenses.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

thanks

HB

2. Hi,

Thinking of heading for Madrid in September/October to teach EFL. Have PGCE, CELTA and 10 years of experience.
    Have lived in Madrid previously and loved it.

Can I make a living out of English teaching in Madrid after building up contacts and getting established over a 2 year period?

I already know about the requirements when going freelance regarding tax etc. and on cost of accommodation and living expenses.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

thanks

HB

3. there were paragraphs before I pressed 'post'.

4. Dear Hoblos,
    I have a friend who teaches EFL in Madrid and he makes enough to live on. He works Mon-Fri and has a job at a language school and then another job teaching at a business. So he works in the morning and then in the late afternoon/evening. It's taken him about 2 months to get sorted and settled but he's very happy. I'm not sure of the exact details of his salary but he is comfortable, although he rents a room in a flat (sharing with two other people) as a whole flat to himself would be somewhere in the region of 500-600 euros I believe.