1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Effectiveness of Active Learning Evidence

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by SMHardy, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm trying to write about the pros and cons of using practical activites to aid learning in maths classrooms. Everywhere I read says that 'evidence' proves young people learn better when the lesson is more active as opposed to teacher-centred but nowhere can I find actual evidence! Have any of you ever seen results from a study that might help me? Or even if any of you have had experiences in your classroom where you have seen children who carried out practicals retain knowledge and have a deeper understanding than children who did not carry out practicals? I will of course reference you in my essay :p

Any help would be very much appreciated!

2. It think it's even deeper than that Mike.
    What matters is that the students are deeply engaged in and take pride in what they're doing.
    For me I find it's their relationship with themselves and their maths that matters. If that's in place everything else rapidly follows.
    I know other teachers have different philosophies and routes through this, for example the first expect the students to sit down, shut up and respect them as as a teacher before they start to learn. I learned to put the students relationships with their own self esteem first simply because I had exceptionally difficult classes to deal with with very little external support. I couldn't demand the students sit down and shut up first. I had to make then want to. Having learned to do it this way I don't really want to do it any other way. It's very humane, effective and efficient. It causes less conflict and demands for external interventions than other routes.
    I don't expect others to do it they way I did it. Why should they? But I'm around to chat to those who want to develop their skills in contextualised and connected teaching as part of what they do.

3. On a similar note are any TESSERs going to be seeing Rebecca at the ATM conference? I'm intrigued by the bubble maths session, is anyone signed up to that?

4. HEALTH WARNING. IF YOU DON'T LIKE WEIRD POSTS AND YOUTUBE LINKS, STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE.
    Oh Vince do come. Bring your sunny persona to brighten our day[​IMG].
    no - I didn't mean that bit.
    Bombay Sapphire if you want to know - do your own research. Don't be surprised if you get confused between the fantasies and the realities of it all.
    Nuff said. If you don't get it - just forget it.

5. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

6. Thanks Tandy for psting that with all the problems!

Sorry to be silly, but can you explain more about self-report grades please?
    and only replies from sensible posters please...

7. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Not silly at all pipipi.
    The list alone is not enought - life is never that simple! Need to put in context - see Hattie's original paper. Look in particular at feedback which when done well makes a huge difference.
    Look at Geoff Petty's work. I found his 'Evidence Based Teaching' a clear read.
    http://www.geoffpetty.com/feedback.html