1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Effectively using ICT in English

Discussion in 'English' started by newteacher14, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Afternoon. As my name suggests, I am currently working through the process of becoming a trainee teacher in English at Secondary level from September this year.
    As such, I have an interview in the coming weeks, which includes a presentation on a number of different suggested topics. I have chosen 'the effective use of ICT in the English classroom' and need to investigate the challenges and opportunities, as well as the context, prior learning, strategies to engage the students (and retain engagement) and ways to assess effectiveness of their learning.
    So, I'm wondering if anyone has any guidance or case studies for how they use ICT to support English teaching at Key Stage 4 as an evidence base for my presentation. A few points I can think of, include:
    - Are you using a particularly innovative measure to engage pupils?
    - Have you found a way to introduce social media/mobile technology into teaching?
    - Is prior learning a barrier to innovative ICT use? Or, do you find that students are already clued up and just need healthy persuasion to tie it into their English learning?
    - Have you found that teaching ESOL students is easier with effective ICT? If so, how?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Afternoon. As my name suggests, I am currently working through the process of becoming a trainee teacher in English at Secondary level from September this year.
    As such, I have an interview in the coming weeks, which includes a presentation on a number of different suggested topics. I have chosen 'the effective use of ICT in the English classroom' and need to investigate the challenges and opportunities, as well as the context, prior learning, strategies to engage the students (and retain engagement) and ways to assess effectiveness of their learning.
    So, I'm wondering if anyone has any guidance or case studies for how they use ICT to support English teaching at Key Stage 4 as an evidence base for my presentation. A few points I can think of, include:
    - Are you using a particularly innovative measure to engage pupils?
    - Have you found a way to introduce social media/mobile technology into teaching?
    - Is prior learning a barrier to innovative ICT use? Or, do you find that students are already clued up and just need healthy persuasion to tie it into their English learning?
    - Have you found that teaching ESOL students is easier with effective ICT? If so, how?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3. Hi
    Have a look at this if you haven't already come across it:
    http://inanimatealice.com/
    I am using it with my S1 class (P7) and has been really successful for creative writing and digital literacy has worked well with a mixed ability class
    Re prior learning - I find that pupils 'think' they know how to use everything but they only know very basic stuff - the key is to ensure that you also 'teach' them how to use the program you want to use before you get started.
    Hope this helps to get you started

4. Try to get hold of a Visualiser (RM sell them) and it transforms AfL in the classroom. It is brilliant for peer assessment and for modelling. Some of the more expensive models are IWB compatible, especially with Smartboard. Could you get a rep from RM to come and demonstrate one so you can see?

Use MS Publisher for students to create documents rather than Word e.g. newletters, adverts, leaflets etc

Get familiar with Dreamweaver and set writing tasks which involve creating webpages instead of letters leaflets etc.

5. Also, investigate Edmodo

6. Hi all. Thanks for your help. Thinking of using a bit on Cloud software too - has that proved usual for any teachers out there? I know one college has saved a lot of money through using it.

7. We are currently involved in the DeFT Project with University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University and it has been the best CPD we have done in YEARS. Did I shout that loud enough? Take a look at this blog http://deftoer3.wordpress.com/ and await further adventures on this front as all schools involved have to produce at least one case study to exemplify their approaches. Loads of hard work but loads of fun and VERY useful in and out of the classroom. If you are based in/near South Yorkshire then please feel free to get in touch and I'll try my best to pass on details as and when.