1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Effective Intervention Strategies

Discussion in 'English' started by EnglishteacherRach, Oct 4, 2017.

1. EnglishteacherRach

EnglishteacherRach New commenter

Hi all,

This year I am really wanting to trial and develop a wider range of intervention strategies for my KS4 students.

What strategies do you use that have had a positive effect on progress? Do you use any specific strategies which have proven effective with key groups (PP, more able, boys etc)?

Thanks in advance

2. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Language: Do you do any question level analysis? If you can identify what questions (and what skills) individual students are struggling with, then you can set tasks to different students/groups of students accordingly.

Literature: Similar, but I use a Personal Learning Checklist to get students to tell me which areas of a text they feel confident with and which they don't, and then again I set different tasks for different students. This doesn't always require a lot of preparation (though sometimes it does). For example, if we were analysing a scene of Romeo and JUliet I might ask certain students to analyse Meructio's role in the scene, others Tybalt, others the theme of honour and others the theme of family - they can all then feedback to each other at the end.

I find if you are very clear to students what you (and they) and doing and why, then they buy into it and feel pleased you are giving them the chance to work on skills, questions and areas that they are weak on.

3. pianopete

pianopete New commenter

What are you meaning by intervention? Things to do extra in class or are you talking about extra lessons/lunches/after school? Depends on which as to what works best. Personally, we find forced extra English outside of lesson time doesn't work unless students actively buy in, hence we offer lunchtime drop-in. Nearer to the exam we keep it the same but publicise that we'll offer a taught 20 minute booster on a specific aspect of the language paper.

We do run timetabled intervention in Y11, once a week. We're lucky that students get taken out of non-core subjects to do it. We change the students in it each time we do a trial. It is basically 10 students who got a 3 overall who we need to push over the 4 threshold.

Our Pupil Premium students get small group tuition after school but this isn't compulsory although it is paid for out of PP funding.