1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Effective differentiation in ICT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by timawebb, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Dear Colleagues

Differentiation
    has been highlighted as a particular weak point in our ICT lessons at my
    school. This is particually a problem in KS3 where we teach in form groups.

I was
    wondering if this is the case at other schools?

also,
    Do
    people have any techniques to effectively differentiate in ICT ? (apart from
    simply by outcome)

many thanks for you help!
    Tim

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Exemplars and possibly success criteria are always useful, particularly for weaker students.
    I generally wheel out both with more abstract topics, although it doesn't stop some kids ignoring what you expect...

3. All of the above is spot on, I also record my demonstrations using BB Flashback which does good Flash Video export. Flash Video is excellent for this because the image quality is lossless and when the pupils move the playhead back it reverses the sequence of actions so they can keep track of the sequence that they are stuck on.

4. Also splitting your success criteria into small achievable steps is very motivating for the less able pupils, this can be
    done verbally during the lesson. When I taught in a truly mixed ability
    environment I would take work that an able pupil had done, remove any
    formatting that made that work identifyable and delete a few stages of
    work as well and I would then use that work as a help file to get the
    less able pupils moving and motivated again. That's a hell of a lot
    quicker than preparing the differentiated material yourself :)

5. I'm new here; could you explain what you mean by 'Differentiation' please? Even after reading the responses I'm still clueless.

6. For each of our projects we have a project diary that the pupils have to fill out. These diaries are levelled so in year 7 we have a level 5-6 and level 3-4 diary, the latter has more starter sentences, hints and tips whereas the higher diary gives the more able pupil to expand on their answers and reach the higher lever. This year we have been developing a further diary for our SEN groups! I normally tell the pupils which diary to go for after looking at their targets and previous grades! It works well and it's quite discreet in the lesson as other pupils can't tell which diary joe bloggs is completing without close inspection!