1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

eek - spanish!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sparklyrainbowfish, Apr 8, 2011.

1. i'm going to a new school after the holiday and will be teaching Spanish for the first time. I've been teaching French up till now which I like, but I can actually speak French which helps! unfortunately I know no Spanish and don't know where to begin. by the sounds of things there is no scheme of work in place. any tips?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

http://wsgfl.westsussex.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/curriculum/modern-foreign-languages/key-stage-2/spanish-schemes-of-work/

Should give you a start. I've used lots of their French schemes, especially the storytelling type ones. Not sure if the Spanish is the same standard or not.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes minnieminxes suggestion of west sussex is good & yes they do have Spanish, but may go soon & only be available if you pay so take a look quickly!
    I've also sent you a private message with some other links.

4. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

5. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Rachel - Please can I point out that the Spanish text on the certificate is not correct. "Españoles" is a plural adjective. It should be "El Premio Español"
    In addition, on the colours and numbers one, the number 5 is "cinco" not "cinqo" and the colour red is "rojo" not "roja".

6. Thanks for that. I shall make the changes immediately.
    [​IMG]

7. lisilu

lisilu Occasional commenter

Advise you to join Talkabout Primary MFL (http://primarymfl.ning.com) and definitely check out the wikispace of resources that accompany it.
    Also my blog might give you some ideas ¡Vámonos! http://lisibo.co.uk - despite appearances this weekend, it's about more than football ;o)

Lisa xx

8. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

You must use 'Tu y Yo' by earlystart.co.uk/. It was a life-saver for me when I first started learning and teaching Spanish (to year 3). It comes in either VHS or CD with a ring-binder of photocopiables. The progs are about 20 mins each and there are a dozen or so of them. Each would keep you going for 3 or 4 lessons so close to a year's worth of work.
    Each 'prog' has a theme, saying hello, talking about family, pets etc, just what young learners need to take with them on their package hol and get chatting with the local kids on the beach. Really well made with native speakers giving lots of repitition. Songs also. Great worksheets.
    There's a volume two as well, I think it's called 'mi colegio y mi ciudad'. Sorry I can't be more precise, but I left UK 5 years ago and all my stuff is in storage. Have had a bit of trouble getting onto their website this morning but if you google earlystart spanish there are agents and bookshops selling the stuff. About £80 for the folder and CD/VHS I seem to remember, but the best £80 I ever spent.
    As a result of all my Spanish work I ended up teaching here in an immersion school. Children are Spanish, we teach the national curriculum to them in English. Amazing!
    You also might like to look at 'Sonica Spanish' which is a computer programme, ideal for the IWB, full of activities, Karaoke, dancemat, all to teach spanish in primary. Brilliant, but much more expensive. Early Start is the better 'starter' and it's much more straightforward, pop on the programme, learn it with the children, revise, worksheets, etc. Great fun.
    Good luck!