1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

eeeeewwwwwwww black things in my flour!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Milkandchalk, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hmm, not so 'eco' if she keeps having to throw things out.

I'm feeling a little uneasy about this- may have to buy some of those tubs!

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I must admit that I checked my ingredients a bit more thoroughly than usual (as a result of reading this thread!) when making rice pudding with tartette today.
    No sign of anything. Lucky really, as I came across a half open bag of sugar.

3. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

On a separate but roughly related note, we used to have silverfish in the bathroom of a flat we rented years ago.
    Horrid things [​IMG]

4. This house is never fully dry or free of silverfish and other bugs n monsters, mainly cos the cellar is open, untanked and often gets wet - it's where we keep our pet newts (I am not joking!).
    I too keep food in click n store plastic containers, never in the original packaging mainly cos we have often lived in very rural, very damp housing and it has always been necessary to have tupperware since I was a small kid.
    I barely notice the bugs with less than 8 legs or those with hundreds of them, as they wander over line, carpet or walls - just the 8 legged monsters!

5. I had them a couple of times in flour. So gross! Once I had to get rid of jars of peanut butter and other stuff as they had infected everything. I'm a bit worried now after reading this and might have to check my cupboards now! I've got a bad of rice flour that's been open a while......arghh!

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I found them once. Having cleared the kitchen I went to ASDA for more flour, as soon as I opened it I found more. They had to clear all their shelves in the end too!

7. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Having lived in the Caribbean for the past five years, we often had weevils but only ever in the flour. They never infected anything else. If you keep your flour in the freezer it stops them hatching/developing. I thought keeping flour and pasta in the freezer would make them go damp but it doesn't and no more weevils. There were plenty of cockroaches, lizards and mosquitos though!

8. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

So, early this morning I went to Tesco, bought some of the clip boxes (bloody expensive!!!) and have decanted all my powders and dry foodstuffs into them.
    I have had a good clean out of the cupboard and have told the little *** - in my strictest teacher voice I might add - that they are no longer welcome at chez milk.
    And, yes, I have bought new flour.
    And, yes, the cookies are yummy!

9. I have periodic omg moments when I spot one of the blasted things. At which point I just double wrap lots of things and stick them in the freezer for a week or so. I've also taken to keeping things like seeds, nuts, dried fruit and other attractive yummies in the fridge. As this stops nuts and seeds from going rancid, it's a double benefit.
    Doing this at first sighting means that I rarely find any 'foreign matter' in flour, rice or whatever. But I must put in a second vote for checking spices. I'd more or less dismissed them as having no such problems, a bit like sugar. It ain't so.