1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

eeeeewwwwwwww black things in my flour!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Milkandchalk, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

They look like tiny little beetles!
    Perhaps I won't be making cookies this evening after all!

2. Milkandchalk

They look like tiny little beetles!
    Perhaps I won't be making cookies this evening after all!

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

they are tiny little beetles, called . . .

(drum roll)

flour beetles

4. Weevils! Check all your open floury/biscuity/cerealythings. And throw them away.

or you could make biscuits and save on the chocolate chips.

5. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

They don't eat much

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

mmm, free protein! Tell everyone they're carraway seeds....

7. You met my nan then??
    Oh how we laughed... and then burned all cereal products we could find!

8. Milkandchalk

Humph.
    I'll make fairy cakes instead.

9. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Apparently weevils wobble, but they don't fall down.

10. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I'm afraid we only got rid of weevils for good when we had a new kitchen. The b*ggers survived cupboard scrubbing and disinfectant. (A bit drastic, but we didn't have a new kitchen just because of the weevils!)

11. A couple of years ago we had these little blighters and just couldn't get rid. I kept throwing out all the cereals, flour etc, disinfecting all the cupboards, but they just kept coming back. Then one day I opened a jar of spice and found it infested with them. I mean crawling. Once I got rid of that they didn't reappear.
    So, check everything, then check again.

12. I worked in a poncy restaurant about ten years ago which had gone down the 'rustic kitchen' decor route. I was 'delighted' to discover the extensive display of continental flours and pasta were INFESTED with weevils one day about an hour before service. Never has a restaurant contents been emptied into bin bags so quickly. Still makes me shudder......

13. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

To all posts:
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. I have this joy with "bean weevils" because my OH breeds poison arrow frogs and this is their staple diet. A few escape through the gaps in the vivariums and you invariably find them crawling around the bathroom etc which is just gross.
    Luckily the kitchen is far away from the room the frogs are in so they rarely get in there - but I did once find an infestation had bred in the flour [​IMG]

15. You could just sieve every powder and check every grain for weevils and/or eggs.
    A friends dad (miller) always said that this was the real reason for sieving flour, cos a quick stir will aerate it enough to rise!

And sailors quite happily ate them in hardtack for the extra protein - nothing could/can make hardtack taste worse!!

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

If they are tiny then they are unlikely to be flour beetles or weevils.
    I suspect that they are probably psocids, and will have infested just about everything in your kitchen cupboards.
    You should get rid of everything they may have taken an interest in - i.e. any type of food they could access (think stock cubes <u>inside</u> their wrappers <u>inside</u> the boxes, etc.)
    Clean out the cupboards and spray liberally with insecticide. Wipe down and replace only dried foods which are hermetically sealed.
    Now you can make use of all those old Douwe Egberts coffee jars you have been storing in the garage for flour, rice, stock cubes, etc.

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Errrmmmm....ahem.....cough, cough......................why?

18. It started with tropical fish...then progressed to reptiles...and then we saw a stunning blue poison arrow frog in a reptile shop (the ones you would see if you googled it!) and it went from there!

They arent poisonous when bred in captivity though, dont panic :p

19. Just before Christmas I noticed little moths flying round my kitchen. I didn't think much of it but when I googled them I discovered they were cupboard moths. They get into the house in contaminated dry goods, if you see something that looks like spider web on any dry goods chuck it out.
    I found that stock cubes seemed to attract them most (or perhaps it is because I buy them but never actually use them so they sit in my cupboards for years).
    I was one of the few people who was happy that it was snowing before Christmas as the advice was to freeze any dry goods you bring into the house for at least 3 days. As my freezer is just big enough for a few ice cubes I put all my shopping in the garden in airtight plastic storage boxes.
    I had never heard of the little critters before and it does freak me out. It really hurt having to throw away all that food but I just couldn't stomach eating any of it. I now put all my open dried food into airtight plastic boxes or jars and I only buy what I need. The other thing I did was to change the use of all my cupboards, before my food cupboards were on the wall and my crockery in the floor cupboards. I have only seen two of the pests since Christmas so I have my fingers crossed that I have killed them all. (I borrowed a friend's steam cleaner to blast the cupboards rather than chemicals).

20. A steam cleaner on your cupboards does work.
    I have never had the wee monsters - but I keep all my stuff in air tight containers, never in the original packaging.
    I have an "eco" friend who keeps all her stuff in wee dinky pottery things - she regularly has visits from creepy crawlies.
    I use my wee dinky pottery things as decoration and keep my food in click n lock storage tubs.