1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Educational Visits

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tesat, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Is it legal to give parents a group of reception children to be responsible for? To save MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Can you explain a little further...are these adults joining you as the class teacher on an educational visit?

We regularly have list 99 checked parents 'responsible' for a group (of no more than 4) of reception children when we go out of the classroom.

3. 2 classes 2 teachers rest TA's(9 total due to ratio) but powers to be want us to take parents instead of TA's. Told me today trip next week. Spent about 2 months persuading several parents that there children will be perfectly fine without them, in our care, parents were NOT ALLOWED and this is all part of building there independence. Cracked the last one today. Then this bombshell. What do I do back down to parents. Done this in reception as long as I have been there, New Dep has bee in her bonnet.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We always take parents

5. Agree with Msz, last month we went on a coach an hour away, myself and class TA and 6 parents with my class of 27. In January we walked to the Library again using parent helpers.
    We wouldn't be able to go anywhere if we didn't have parent volunteers. There are only 5 TAs in the whole school and 2 of them are part time so we just wouldn't have the man power!
    Plus how can you justify taking TAs who are surely more valuable in class with other children supporting their learning? (not that they wouldn't be supporting your children on the visit!)
    Lucie

6. Valid points but you cant change the goal posts at the last minute. non of the parents are crb/list 99 checked. To late in the day IMHO

7. I see. Well, maybe you can use that as a reason with SMT this time then and next time take parents. It is a valuable experience for all. We always 'hand pick' our parents as far as possible so that the parents of 'needy' children don't attend.

Lucie

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

They don't need to be CRB /list 99 checked unless they are going to be alone with children on a regular basis.