1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Educational Visits for Edexcel GCSE Unit 2 CA

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by grangehill, May 19, 2011.

1. Hi!
    I am just starting to think about the Controlled Assessment (Unit 2) for Edexcel GCSE Business Studies.
    I've been racking my brains and Googling for ideas for an educational visit and am struggling! My school is based in the Midlands and we have previously been to places for other courses such as Alton Towers, Drayton Manor, Jaguar and Cadbury World. However, since the CA is based on "small" businesses I don't think any of the above are suitable!
    Last year, we had a guest speaker come in from a small, local business to help with the CA. Whilst this was good, I was hoping to take my group on a trip.
    Does anyone have any ideas of small businesses to visit in the Midlands?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Hi!
    I am just starting to think about the Controlled Assessment (Unit 2) for Edexcel GCSE Business Studies.
    I've been racking my brains and Googling for ideas for an educational visit and am struggling! My school is based in the Midlands and we have previously been to places for other courses such as Alton Towers, Drayton Manor, Jaguar and Cadbury World. However, since the CA is based on "small" businesses I don't think any of the above are suitable!
    Last year, we had a guest speaker come in from a small, local business to help with the CA. Whilst this was good, I was hoping to take my group on a trip.
    Does anyone have any ideas of small businesses to visit in the Midlands?
    Thanks in advance!

3. how about asking your school who their main suppliers are?
    e.g. catering, maintenance, stationery etc. probably going to be smallish local businesses who have a vested interest in helping you with the visit.

4. Hi grangehill
    Organising visits for Units 1 and 3 is likely to be very productive for your teaching and enjoyable for the students. For Unit 2 however, it would be against the spirit of CA for the teacher to do the research for the student. The emphasis is on trying to encourage students to develop research skills. In addition, if the students are given the research then they will all be working from the same information and there is a danger that the marks become bunched and differentiation limited.
    The sort of businesses students could use are butchers, bakers, pubs, antique shops, builders, plumbers, electricians, carpet fitters, hairdressers, cafes, hardware stores, newsagents, vets, doctors, dentists, solicitors, fish and chip shops, take-aways - businesses that are common in every part of the country.
    If you wish, you can discuss or confirm the suitability of a business with the Chair or Chief of Examiners using our Ask The Expert service at http://edexcel--5571.custhelp.com/app/ask
    Please do not hesitate to ask them if you are unsure.
    Best regards
    Colin Leith

5. Dear Colin

your advice is very clear and in an ideal world all our students would be able to do this. Unfortunately I suspect I'm not the only one in the position where about a third of my students just do not have the guts to go out and ask strangers questions. Last year these students put off their research (even though I told them they could pair up with students who had had the nouse to find a suitable contact provided they chose a different assignment) until it was too late, or chose the commodities task which was far too difficult for them.

I am under pressure, as I suspect are many other teachers, to do what we can to help these students. Bringing in visitors for twenty five different businesses is not practical. The guidance material does suggest putting material onto the VLE for students - how does this tie in with the above advice?

To be absolutely honest, at the age of 15 (a long time ago, I know!) I would have found this very daunting myself, and many of our students are just not prepared to do it. If they fail it's my neck on the block!

6. Dear l0vaduck
    I can’t disagree that some students are reticent to approach people in the way you describe and recognise that this might be a problem.
    You might get round it with some by getting Controlled Assessment on the radar quite early on. Some centres have written to parents explaining what will be required and when, and then enlisted parental support in finding a small business as the basis for the investigation. Families may have contacts which can be used.

The example in the guidance pack about putting teacher-collected research on the VLE was for a trial run and not for the ‘real thing’. The trial run was used to demonstrate to students the type of research they might collect and then what they should be doing with research once it had been collected.
    Regards
    Colin Leith