1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Educational Research on using Mini Whiteboards

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by joe_blogs, Mar 11, 2010.

1. September

September New commenter

My kids love the mini-whiteboards. We have them in every classroom in my mathematics department. My Headteacher had never seen one before and I used them in my interview for my head of dept job. I was the only candidate out of 5 who did not use a powerpoint presentation. The kids that were my interview audience still mention my lesson to me.
    Other than for general AFL throughout the lesson I also set aside a full independent learning session where the pupils are given a topic that was delivered to them a week ago and they work through questions from the textbook but they select the questions and practice on the mini-whiteboard first, check their answers then note down the workings in their exercise books. I find that the students targe more difficult questions as they can have a go first.
    Other subjects have seen their use in the mathematics department and are looking to purchase them for their departments. I would love it if the school could get them for every classroom. I know that you can get them on planners but unless you have an A4 size miniwhiteboard its not the same.
    Our biggest problem is the pens as they run out after a few weeks. I might have to make it a piece of required mathematics equipment and get the pupils to purchase their own. Cuts!!!!

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Has anyone done any research into the health implications of children using (and smelling) the pens? I know you can get low odour pens but I've seen plenty of the ordinary kind used. In a small primary clasroom with 30+ children the smell can be quite strong. Why does it have to be white boards? Why not the aforementioned slates? Chalk's pretty cheap and long lasting.
    I sometimes wonder how we learnt anything before technology and innovations such as mini whiteboards. My parents (in their eighties) were undoubtedly more thoroughly educated (and I mean that inthe broadest sense of the word) than I was, and I think the same is true of me and my own children.

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Those plagiarising Victorians, eh?

Their slates were a copy of the wax tablets the Romans introduced to this part of the Empire and it seems pretty likely they nicked the idea from the Greeks who are known to have used them in 500BC. (Though where they got the idea from is less certain.)

I wonder if ancient Greek students used theirs to draw willies? (I expect so, very little is new, after all.)

4. September

September New commenter

I put the boards out at the start of lesson 1 and don't collect them in until end of Lesson 5. The students are so used to using them and seeing them out on the desks. This way it saves collecting them in at the end of each lesson.

5. I have not used mini-whiteboards but it seems strange to me that we're doing this considering we moved away form mini-blackboards years ago. However I would like to see mini-interactive whiteboards. Like an iPad style!!

6. I use mini-whiteboards quite a bit in lessons. There are some practical drawbacks (the pens running out being the most annoying) but the effort is worthwhile. Even quite challenging classes can be trained to use them sensibly and they do ensure good participation by the majority of pupils.

I haven't used the response units so much as we only have one set in our department making access to them a bit limited. They do seem pretty engaging and I'd like to use them more.

I wish you the best of luck with your studies.

7. Hi, I am also doing an action research project on mini-whiteboards did you find any research papers. Thanks, William

8. September

September New commenter

The majority of companies provide pens with no odour. In all my 10 years of teaching I have never seen a student sniff one of the mini-whiteboard pens so that means whatever pens I have been using they must be the right ones. As a teacher if you find that any of the board pens you use have a smell then get rid and get non smelly ones.

9. wasn't chalk carcinogenic

10. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

suddenly my present school is advising NOT to use them at all, simply because they want more work in books as they expect Ofsted to arrive imminently. Abandon the technique for no educational reason at all!

11. [This comment/section has been removed by the moderators for breaching the Community Guidelines]

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I don't know where you got yours from, but my ***** was new to me.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Isn't it a case of use what works and if nothing is working try something new.