1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

educational psychologists overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by edpsych77, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am looking for information on educational psychologist vacancies overseas. I am a qualified educational psychogist and have been practising for over 6 years and I am very keen to look at options abroad. I am not a qualified teacher and am finding it tricky to research equivalent posts abroad without a teaching qualification. Any advice would be very welcome particularly from anyone who has worked as an EP abroad. Thanks[​IMG]

2. I am looking for information on educational psychologist vacancies overseas. I am a qualified educational psychogist and have been practising for over 6 years and I am very keen to look at options abroad. I am not a qualified teacher and am finding it tricky to research equivalent posts abroad without a teaching qualification. Any advice would be very welcome particularly from anyone who has worked as an EP abroad. Thanks[​IMG]

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I'm no EP, but I can say that three forces are in play
    • most schools do not employ an EP; some contract out as needed, and others just do without; this severely limits the list of schools you can choose from
    • those schools that employ EPs tend to be large, well-funded, decently-organized institutions
    • EPs are scarce in the international market; if you have decent credentials/recommendations, you will be chased by those few schools looking for an EP
    So get your name out there, and good luck to you!

4. Thanks gulfgolf I am at the early stages of investigating this and yes I agree with your first point as that is what I seem to be finding. I looked into an international agency so that might be a starter.

5. 576

576 Established commenter

Cayman Islands Govt employs ed psyches and recruits them from overseas.
    But as you'll work for the govt not a school you won't get all the school holidays off.

6. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Most American EP's won't have teaching qualifications as an EP is something you can to to Uni to be straight from school. The Cayman Islands does recruit heavily from the USA so are used to EP's not necessarily being teachers, so to does the rest of the Caribbean.

7. Thanks for that will check them out - don't get school holidays at the moment anyway :-(

8. Thanks for that useful information I will look into it - Cayman Islands is somewhere I know nothing about!!! I don't get school holidays at the moment anyway :-(

9. Thank you katycustard - Cayman Islands I had never even thought about - I wonder if they as happy to take British as Americans as I have been informed my qualifications do not allow me to practise in the USA.

10. 576

576 Established commenter

I know two at the moment.
    One Barbadian - the other British!

11. That's good to hear[​IMG]

12. MooMooMoo

MooMooMoo New commenter

Hi edpsych77 how did your search go? I am interested (although it was a while ago) in how it went as we are looking for EP 's in my international setting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.