1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Educational Psychologist

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by lovely.lady, Apr 3, 2012.

1. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I need to arrange for a private assessment for my son who suffers from ASD. His last assessment was when he was 5 years old and now he is 11 years old. He attends an international school in Italy and they have recently suspended him from school because he has lost control as a result of bullies and not been listened to by teachers - in particular the head of primary and principal. They say he is not allowed back to school until an updated Educational Psychologist report is forthcoming. This action strikes me as discrimination because he has been incident free since joining the school 2 years ago and they had the SENCO report from his previous school as well as his previous clinical report from his paediatrician. They have not followed procedure as we have not been called into school nor has he been in receipt of any appropriate sanctions other than shouting. In his last school he was treated in exactly the same way as other children and was so happy there.
    We are in the North East of England from Thursday and need to sort this out. Does anyone have any contacts where I can get an immediate assessment?

2. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I need to arrange for a private assessment for my son who suffers from ASD. His last assessment was when he was 5 years old and now he is 11 years old. He attends an international school in Italy and they have recently suspended him from school because he has lost control as a result of bullies and not been listened to by teachers - in particular the head of primary and principal. They say he is not allowed back to school until an updated Educational Psychologist report is forthcoming. This action strikes me as discrimination because he has been incident free since joining the school 2 years ago and they had the SENCO report from his previous school as well as his previous clinical report from his paediatrician. They have not followed procedure as we have not been called into school nor has he been in receipt of any appropriate sanctions other than shouting. In his last school he was treated in exactly the same way as other children and was so happy there.
    We are in the North East of England from Thursday and need to sort this out. Does anyone have any contacts where I can get an immediate assessment?

3. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

Contact your NHS and Google your local education authority's website.

4. If it's for a private assessment, look on the BPS (British Psychological Society) website which should have some local EPs for you to contact. Also try Dyslexia Action (see their website) - they have EPs who might be available at short notice

5. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

A report is fine if they follow up/put into place the recommendations from it otherwise it will be a waste of money.
    Ask for a copy of their proceedures on suspension/exclusion and if they have not followed it write a letter asking why because if it is to do with his ASD then it is discrimination . You may have to get a copy of their inclusion policy aswell. I'm not sure how all this works in an international school.