1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Education trips to Hull, East Yorkshire anyone?...

Discussion in 'School trips' started by glenngavin, Aug 23, 2019.

1. glenngavin

glenngavin New commenter

OK, full disclosure from the off! My name's Glenn Gavin, and just under 2 years ago I set up my independent hostel in the middle of Hull's Old Town: HULL TRINITY BACKPACKERS. I come to this having taught at a South Yorkshire college in the likes of Tourism and Events since 2003. We've been going down really well (see the usual booking behemoth sites), but I'd really like to attract education groups. I've seen such from Dublin, Krakow, York, Hanover, but would really like to spread the word. If you look at our website, hopefully you'll see what we're about too.
    Why Hull for a visit? Well we're ourselves a five minute walk from The Deep (about the best educational aquarium I can think of) ; a few minutes also from the revitalised 'fruit market' area, and indeed restored Trinity Market area right next door. Field trips looking at post 2017 City of Culture legacy I see from time to time too. I could go on...
    Also within an hour of the lovely Holderness Coast ( coastal erosion anyone? ) YORK one hour away too
    We can safely accommodate groups up to 24: dormitory rooms on the first floor, and three 'tutor' type single / twin rooms up top. And a kitchenette to do your own thing, as well as lovely common room area on the ground floor. If booking as a group you'd have exclusive use of the building
    Do look up the area, and if you like what you see, do look us up too. It's been quite hard getting word out to education establishments, and as a teacher myself, why not get in touch directly with us and cut out the middle people? Contact details all through the website.
    Many thanks. Glenn. www.hulltrinitybackpackers.com

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I spent a week in Hull one night!

Joking aside don't you have some fishing museums, that bloody great bridge, an ice rink?

3. glenngavin

glenngavin New commenter

Yes you star, that's right. There are probably half a dozen decent museums and classic art gallery - all free in the city: some just a couple of minutes from us here. Ice rink 5 minutes walk across the marina. And 'that bloody great bridge' is still standing I believe, connecting us to southern England. Outstanding to walk over on a lovely day: a ten minute train and then walk from the Paragon Interchange. Two quality theatres: one traditional, one contemporary. Much to do...

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

So it's no longer, "From Hell, Hull and Halfax, good Lord deliver us?"

5. glenngavin

glenngavin New commenter

Apparently not, according to the likes of Lonely Planet, Wanderlust, Guardian et al. But I suppose there's one way to find out...

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

When you are walking across that bridge could you look out for my wife's Flamingo Land cap. It blew off when we drove across it in 1980!

Been to Hull a few times to watch the ice hockey.

7. glenngavin

glenngavin New commenter

Will keep a look out blazer, though wouldn't want to get your wife into trouble with authorities. She was obviously an adventurous soul back then: the bridge didn't open until early summer 1981, so she must have scaled a fence or two to be able to walk across...
    New ice arena due to be built too. An under appreciated family spectator sport I reckon.

8. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Did you mention the Fish Trail, Holy Trinity (largest parish church), Wilberforce House for slavery history, Ye Olde White Harte (gunpowder plot), Hull history centre for old maps and an introduction to genealogy and an 'army' of City of Culture volunteers to act as guides /helpers.

9. glenngavin

glenngavin New commenter

Didn't want to confuse people with too much information neddyfonk, but I welcome your input. I feel like I should go quiet now awhile and let people hopefully come to the conclusion that Kingston upon Hull is indeed worth a visit with a group or two. (£30m investment just underway as you know for the historic maritime museum plan by the way also).
    On another helpful note: would welcome if those interested might want to make a reccy here and stay with us at Hull Trinity Backpackers. I'd gladly point people in the right direction.
    Thanks for anyone's (serious) input / contribution. Best Regards, Glenn.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Must have been 81 then as we had our first child in '82 and we didn't have kids then.

glenngavin likes this.