1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Education Studies??

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by lukedavis199, Dec 8, 2015.

1. lukedavis199

lukedavis199 New commenter

Hi all,
    My main aim is to become a primary school teacher, I was thinking of going down the route of Education Studies and then PGCE. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience of this route?

Thanks

Luke

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

We do have them come through from Ed Studies. That's a four year investment whereas a B.A primary with QTS will cost you three years fees and maintenance loans for the same product - namely a degree and QTS. And then you earn £22k in your fourth year. You are looking at £36,000 extra for the Ed Studies route and we find (some of) those students weaker teachers than those on our BA route.

3. lizziecullen92

lizziecullen92 New commenter

I followed that route but worked as a TA for a year before I started my PGCE. A fair number of people on my course did the same thing and we all agreed it was valuable experience working as a TA.

4. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

Three/ four years is a long time and you'll learn the educational theory on your PGCE. Give yourself an option later on by doing a first degree in something useful that you are strong in/ enjoy doing and then you have backup later on if things change for whatever reason :)