1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Education Secretary speaks

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by les25paul, Jan 13, 2012.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Whilst waiting for (the non-existant today) telephone call for work I watched an interview with the MP Gove on Breakfast TV about his future plans to sack teachers.
    If I understand this correctly if a teacher fails to raise the achievement of their students every term they are classed as poor teachers and can be given the push. He also said that the teacher is solely responsible for raising achievement thus removing any responsibility from the students or their parents.
    Since a term can now be as short as six weeks this is a rather hard task and what happens when a student reaches their peak in a particular subject but continues to maintain their standard. Not everyone can improve endlessly in every subject but has a natural limit (I reached my maximum ability in kicking a muddy ball around a muddy field after about 2 weeks).
    What does this mean for Supply Teachers? If contracted teachers are loosing their jobs on a regular basis will it increase the demand for supply or in a bid to "do it on the cheap" will it lead to more CS/HLTA/TA/instructor positions?
    If Supply Teachers do fill the gaps will Mr Gove expect them to raise standards with all their new class's within 6 weeks and will there be a constant change around every 12 weeks because of AWR?
    One thing I'm certain of is that the job of a regular teacher in certain "challenging" schools looks even more unattractive right now.

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Whilst waiting for (the non-existant today) telephone call for work I watched an interview with the MP Gove on Breakfast TV about his future plans to sack teachers.
    If I understand this correctly if a teacher fails to raise the achievement of their students every term they are classed as poor teachers and can be given the push. He also said that the teacher is solely responsible for raising achievement thus removing any responsibility from the students or their parents.
    Since a term can now be as short as six weeks this is a rather hard task and what happens when a student reaches their peak in a particular subject but continues to maintain their standard. Not everyone can improve endlessly in every subject but has a natural limit (I reached my maximum ability in kicking a muddy ball around a muddy field after about 2 weeks).
    What does this mean for Supply Teachers? If contracted teachers are loosing their jobs on a regular basis will it increase the demand for supply or in a bid to "do it on the cheap" will it lead to more CS/HLTA/TA/instructor positions?
    If Supply Teachers do fill the gaps will Mr Gove expect them to raise standards with all their new class's within 6 weeks and will there be a constant change around every 12 weeks because of AWR?
    One thing I'm certain of is that the job of a regular teacher in certain "challenging" schools looks even more unattractive right now.

3. Will these new regulations apply to support staff who have to work with individuals or small groups of children? Will they apply to the HTs themselves?

4. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

Monday for all those who wish to become even more depressed is Education questions in the H of C, If I remember correct, it starts at 2.30 and we should get a avalance of B*llsh*t from the defender of the education and teaching standards or so he believes and tells everyone. For those unemployed or supply teachers already clinically depressed there should be a film on one of the other channels.

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Education Secretary speaks:
    Shame he doesn't say anything worth listening to! [​IMG]

What a dangerous plonker!!

6. He cannot answer questions; what would happen to a teacher who did not answer questions put to him or her by a pupil; would they be considered incompetent?
    Example: "What qualifications are needed to teach in a free school?" Answer; "The teachers must be well qualified."
    Another example from another government minister: "How many unqualified staff are employed to teach while NQTs are unemployed?" The answer only referred to unqualified teachers. This nminister does not know the difference between unqualified staff and unqualified teachers nor does he know the meaning of cover and teacher absence.
    These are just some example of the incompetence being continually shown by politicians yet there is no cocmeback on them.

7. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

You missed off "out of his a-rse" from your thread title [​IMG]

8. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

It all makes staying on supply seem very appealing. At least if it's not going well for you in a school you can just ask the agency to send you elsewhere!

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Makes moving to a CS/TA etc. even more attractive!

10. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Meh......just what I need to add to my worries about trying to venture back into a permanent post!