1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Education officer V's NQT year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Gabriel151, May 1, 2012.

1. It's v hard to get a post. There are several NQTs doing supply at my school who have never had a 'job'. So not
    This year's cohort. As you've a mortgage to pay, consider seriously the prop spect of a 'job'.
    You don't have to complete your NQT year immediately
    Or indeed within any time limit now so see how you get on first.
    Good luck!

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

One problem about going straight into educational administration is the lack of expeerience of being in a school and a classroom. In terms of a longer term career this could hold you back as you would be perceived as inexperienced. It does depend on the role and if there was the opportunity to gain specific qualifications/experience in a technical area this would help.

3. minceandquince

minceandquince New commenter

Hi,
    I am wondering how you got on and what decision you made in the end? I ask because I now find myself in the same situation. I completed my PGCE this year. My PGCE year was very up and down, with moment where I felt quite put off my the idea od teaching in a kmainstream school (getting negative feedback knocked me, also my placement teacher appeared to be having some kind of mental breakdown). I have just been offered an Education Officr post which I am very excited about, however I do feel a bit sad about the prospect of not having my own class sometime. If I didn't have this post I would be doing supply and tutoring and other bits of work, which has so far earnt me very little, and I hate not having fincncial security. I wonder if I will be able to do my NQT year in a couple of years or so (should I wish to then).