1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

education masters- dumbed down?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by wisewinston, Dec 22, 2010.

1. I have just started a long distance masters in special needs. Admittedly the university of my choice (not really my choice becuase there were limited options due to living abroad), isn't turning out to be quite as good as I would expect but I am surprised, and to be honest, a bit disappointed to find a huge onus on me to explicitly demonstrate that I am meeting the masters level criteria. I have to do a small scale research project for the first year but have to provide a vast portfolio which is 'evidence of my learning'. I am told, like for the portfolios when I qualified, this can be scribblings, notes, annotations etc etc, as well as the larger scale project that describes the project, the reasons behind it, and the reading and research gone in to it etc. It just all feels a bit infantile and I am fairly sure that in other academic masters level qualifications, the onus is on the university to damn well assess you to see if you have meet those criteria. I am happy to work to and to meet criteria, but to provide yet another folder full of sign posts 'here Mr Examiner, I know the law in relation to this area', rather than Mr Examiner noting from my disstertation that I know the law is just a bit depressing. Are all education masters like this? Will I find the same everywhere? Am I missing something? Surely the write up and the analysis of your research project is what counts, not the endless small pieces of paper along the way that got you there?

2. Wanderer007

Wanderer007 New commenter

It strikes me as a situation when I was completing my PGCE. I didn't have to show evidence of meeting Core standards during teaching practice - my mentor's word and final signature was good enough. Yet PGCE students from a different university were running around in the final days of placement to prove they had demonstrated a shopping list of individual criteria with a folder of evidence.
    I'm in no position to say one particular way is better than another. When I completed my M.Ed, 120 credits rolled over from PGCE which meant extra assignments and scrutiny at the time. The extra 60 credits were assessed through a ~20,000 word dissertation in an area of interest to me once I had been teaching for a couple of years. A few seminars and discussions with my supervisor, the rest left to my own devices over a year = an M.Ed. My dissertation describes my journey in context, not a few rough drafts that desribe the process.
    It comes down to whether you are valuing the process. On paper - a Masters is just that, but so long as you can walk away and know you have taken something out of it rather than just ticked a box? It's all subjective!