1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Education is becoming to 'corporate'

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mcd2000, Oct 18, 2011.

1. I am fed up of the school I'm in being run like a business!!! I am in year 6. Its just all about numbers, how many will get a level 4 etc - not about the children!!! Now every member of staff has to wear a uniform (t-shirt with logo on!) which is compulsary. Every display board in the school has to be the same backing colour and same border (the school colours)!!!! We have 'drop in observations' all week this week. SMT only ask how many level 4's will we get, not at alll bothered about level 5's. Children that won't get a level 4 (ie - level 1 or 2) are now in their own group for Maths and English taught by a TA! Management changing their minds on things day to day, every new iniciative we have to do. no discussion whether it will help our children!
    rant over!!!!!

2. I agree that some schools focus too heavily on levels and progress rather than the children's overall well being and enjoyment of learning, but I have to say, a lot of what you describe just comes out as whining! Lots of jobs require a uniform, it identifies you as a staff member to visitors to the school, to be honest I wouldn't be overly bothered. The display board thing is a bit over the top, but again it's not a huge deal, and shouldn't affect how you use them (if, after all, you are using them to 'help the children'), and in a lot of schools, drop in observations are standard. If teaching is good, you shouldn't have to worry about drop in observations. I think its so fake anyway when people do a big song and dance lesson when they have an observation. It doesn't give a real reflection of the everyday teaching happening. Lower level children are perhaps not best off with a TA, but I guess that depends on the support the TA is getting with this group, and unfortunately most schools like to jump on the bandwagon of new initiatives. Not trying to be rude or anything, but count your blessings, I'm sure there are far worse schools out there and far worse situations to be in!!

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Oh dear. So when you've got the 3s up to 4s will you get the 1s and 2s back to get them up to 3s?!

4. mystery10

Oh watch out, they might start to use the 4s who could get 5s as TAs soon too, they seem to be idle in the current system. Or maybe they could go off round the school doing more redecorating in the corporate colours just leaving you with the 3s soon to become 4s.

5. Staff uniform-strange but schools functioned perfectly well without them in the past. Corporate uniforms seem to be for the lowest ranks, not the higher professional for whom smart dress was acceptable, I don't see my GPs solicitors or any professional person apart from sports players wearing uniforms. Maybe the BBC and other stations will upgrade their image and put all their newsreaders and presenters into a uniform. No, it makes teachers look less a professional, more lower ranking, less a real person, more a corporate voice.

6. mystery10

Particularly when it is a T shirt. Maybe it's so that if you go off wandering in the shops nearby during school hours you can be instantly spotted by a shopkeeper and reported back to school for truanting.
    Are you given the uniform? You might have to declare it on your tax return!!

7. Nothing wrong with this - this is fairly standard and is useful for monitoring purposes.

8. This made me laugh.
    But what is the solution? Maybe include numbers of levels 5 and 6 children in league tables so the school continues to stretch them?

9. I never said there was nothing wrong with this - just that when they are done all feedback/talk is only on levels, not on what they learned etc.

10. tortuman

tortuman New commenter

I think the whole uniform things does sound a bit freaky, I am trying to picture sending my daughter to school and being welcome by a bunch of women and men dressed the same... it does sound a bit out of a Brave New World.
    By the way, I've always wondered how levels are decided in primary. I teach learning support and ESOL in secondary and in my school at least, each different subject uses different methods for the levels, Maths does set tests, English does tests and homework, etc. For reading and writing we give them tests when they come out of primary and go by their reading ages and standard scores on the tests... how do you decide which kid is which level in primary, tests? class work?

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Can a school legally enforce uniform for staff?
    Out of interest, what would happen if you refused?

12. the uniform wasn't up for discussion!!!!
    another classic from today was that we now have to highlight in yellow any speaking and listening opportunities in our planning!!?? can the person not reading it understand when s&l is happening???