1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Education in the News

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by deleted963, Dec 17, 2010.

1. A wee gander through Glasgow's Eveneing Times reveals a gaggle of education stories, each with a slightly different spin.
    Council staff to replace 60 axed teachers
    http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/council-staff-to-replace-60-axed-teachers-1.1075045
    Higher and Higher ... city pupils celebrate success
    http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/editor-s-picks/higher-and-higher-city-pupils-celebrate-success-1.1074888
    Teachers in strike threat over savings
    http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/editor-s-picks/teachers-in-strike-threat-over-savings-1.1074614

2. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Its a sad reflection of the times but I am glad to see that Aberdeen aren't alone.

3. I find the whole politicisation of education depressing. Politicians persistently harp on in public about what they're doing "for our young people" whilst they look for almost any opportunity to put the boot in in private.
    Replacing teachers with babysitters is what I took from the first article.
    An obvious numbers game is what I took from then second. Give pupils from Williamwood, Jordanhill and St Ninian's a textbook and a tutor and there's no need for teachers at all for pupils lucky enough to have parents that can afford to live in the catchment areas of these elite schools. Still doesn't stop these HTs and council buffoons claiming all the credit and thanking everyone from the lollipop man upwards for their fantastic results.
    The fact that things are so bad that there is even a threat to strike is depressing enough. Job security, terms and conditions, long hours etc - and you're expected to maintain a positive learning environment in your classroom all the while! Let's have savings through natural wastage and more focus on where money is being spent if our beloved council leaders need the brownie points from the "success" of implementing budget cuts.

4. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Politicians, at least in this neck of woods, just don't seem to get it. Apparently when the pupils from the music school were protesting outside the council building recently the councillors were all saying what a shame that it was probably going to close. Didn;t seem to realise is was their actions that had caused the closure!
    If reducing the number of PSA's won't impact adversely on Education could we not apply the same logic to councillors ie reduce them by 50% - surely it won't have an adverse impact on the quality of local government.
    It they are to keen for staff on over £21,000 to take a 5% pay cut they could set an example(regadless of their remuneration and take at least a 10% cut!)

5. Quote from this article:
    Renfrewshire Council is planning to axe 60 teachers and replace them with non-teaching council employees.
    The move, which could save the council £800,000, would see primary children spend up to 2.5 hours a week with someone who is not a qualified teacher.
    But is this legal in Scotland? I understood that children here must be taught for the regulation 25 hours a week by a GTCS qualified teacher. This is touted as one way in which teaching in Scotland differs from England, where unqualified people can stand in for teachers. Assuming East Ren has got their legal stuff correct (maybe a wrong assumption!), is this article mis-stating the case for sensationalist purposes, or is the law on Scottish teacher qualifications much less stringent than we are led to believe?

6. An interesting piece on STV news tonight, although not directly related to education: Aberdeen City Council pledge to match the £2.5m lottery funding for the refurbishment of Duthie Park...just days after the five year plan was released. Utterly despicable.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I saw that!
    An they want me to "volunteer"to take a 5% pay cut?

8. Also in today's Evening Express "Up to £1.3 million is set to be spent by Aberdeen City Council on a new pensions administration system. A contract for a new IT system has gone out to tender."

9. At least the Duthie Park improvements are sympathetic to the park as part of the city's Victorian heritage. Unlike what might have happened to the Union Terrace Gardens.

10. Is the Gardens project no longer going ahead? Another ridiculous nonsense!!

11. The Gardens Project looks as it could become Son of the By-Pass. I think I remember reading that it had been shelved till 2016. Sir Ian Wood claims his £50m contribution is written into his will, but it's now also thought the project might cost twice the original estimate of £140m (where have we heard that before?). Given that 55% of the citizenry oppose it - and the current climate - it would be unwise of ACC to push for it. So I guess that's what they'll do .....

12. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

Just thought I'd bump this up from the very last page... just to see how much (or little) things have changed in 7 years.

13. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

ScotSEN,

My council, the Shire of Nillumbik in Victoria, Australia, has seven councillors. Many councils have nine councillors. The smallest number legally allowed is five, and the largest number legally allowed is 12. We seem to manage OK.