1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Education for the 21st Century

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by DigitalDRZ, Jun 10, 2020.

1. DigitalDRZ

DigitalDRZ New commenter

I am Bob Zenhausern and I direct the Enabling Support Foundation, a US based 501c(3) that has been working in rural Africa to bring Education into the real world. Education 21 was first conceived in 1990 and evolved to the latest version to its current version.

It advocates 3 simple and inexpensive changes that has already eliminated dyslexia, Children start Primary 1 already reading and writing.

I plan to post to this thread and keep you posted

2. historyexcel

historyexcel New commenter

What is Education in the 21st century. I hear it again and again but dont see much actual agreed definition by groups that use it. Secondly 'eliminated dyslexia' - thats some claim for a non curable condition. Do you mean you have reduced the problems that attach to this condition?

3. DigitalDRZ

DigitalDRZ New commenter

Dyslexia is uncurable. That is, the brain abnormality that interferes with phonetic decoding cannot be cured. But it it only a problem when you teach reading by phonetic decoding. That is the worst mistake in the history of education.

A baby knows the meaning of the spoken word before being able to speak. Why does it take 5 years to learn the meaning of the printed word?

The child must learn the alphabet, the sounds of letters, blending sounds, exceptions all have to be learned before the child can read the word they understood 5 years ago. About 20% of children cannot do this phonetic decoding and we call them dyslexic.
    And the sting is that phonetic decoding only can tell you how to pronounce a word. It does not tell you what it means.

Kusoma does not use phonetic decoding and here is what did happen.
    A conference in May 2017 in Uganda gave rise to an approach to reading which we now call Kusoma. Nine sites in Kenya and Uganda showed that pre primary students could learn to read in 4 months. That was the proof of concept that grew into a network of 50 schools using the approach. Children now start Primary 1 reading and writing. We are now converting Primary 1 to Primary 3 and save two years in education.

And then the schools closed and we taught Kusoma to the parents through smart phones, videos, and WhatsApp.
    In the first month 900 children were being helped. And they were able to download/print books from Book Dash.
    We have a smart phone app that teaches vocabulary to pre-verbal children.

Kusoma is part of my definition of 21st Century education.

4. historyexcel

historyexcel New commenter

Can you point me towards any studies related to this? Would like to read up on what your saying.

5. DigitalDRZ

DigitalDRZ New commenter

Bill McGsrry started the the Handicap Digest on a Listserv in 1981,
    Patt Harring in 1985 created KidsNet on a Listserv
    Norman Coombs founded EASI for disabled college students before 1990
    Tom Holloway and Chatback...google that and you get the details of early education
    Books were written, but I know of no book that tells the whole story
    I can shrare more off line if you are interested

6. DigitalDRZ

DigitalDRZ New commenter

Those were the activities that led up to the development of Education 21.
    Dyslexia was shown to be an artifact of the phonetic decoding approach in studies based on doctoral dissertations I directed. Mary Maxwell, Alex Minardi, and Mary Kaliski were involved in this research. In 1990 I formed the first draft of Education 21 and the latest summary was published in 2018. These are available if you want the links.
    Our current work in Kenya and Uganda has not been published because it started 3 years ago.
    But rather than read studies I invite you to embed yourself virtually via email and WhatsApp. What the people on the ground are saying is better than any study you could read. Let me know if you are interested and I will set you up