1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Education fails to give the future of children with SEND equal consideration'

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 27, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

I think it's a bit better with the new code of practice but I still find it difficult to set reasonable targets for my students for when they are 25 years old. And most of the parents do as well. I just finished the EHCP meetings for my six year 5 students and only 1 parent even mentioned something academical. Most of them want their children to be able to communicate, to be safe around the house and to be able to access the community.
    We do a lot of work around this in school but I guess it's easier if you can completely focus on that and not having to think about your other 29 neuro typical students who need to get ready for exams.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I think much lies with how employers and the public in general treat young adults with SEND. No matter how well the schools prepares the young person or how well they help them to achieve academically if once they leave school employers are not prepared to make adjustments then all the hard work will have been for nothing.