1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Education C.V and Applying following redundancy

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Angelclara82, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Angelclara82

Angelclara82 New commenter

Hi,

I have recently been made redundant from my job as lead of drama and I am out and about looking for work. I am in the North East of England and this half term I have undertaken lots of training (safeguarding designate lead) as well as completing my adoption course to be able to start my family.

I am looking for advice from you lovely teachers on structuring my CV and applying for all positions (teaching, pastoral). I am starting to worry about securing a role.

Any help, advice and guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

AngelClara!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think most schools ( if this is where you are pitching ) are not interested in CVs. In fact they refuse to accept. Application forms are routine. You would be required to submit a CV if you were to approach a company for consultancy work though.

3. Angelclara82

Angelclara82 New commenter

Hi,
    Yes I know, thank you though. The CV is for supply agencies who then send them to schools, so I am wanting to ensure it is of the best quality. As well as what format to take with application forms and personal statements.

Thanks
    Claire

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

CVs are pesky things. Good Luck

5. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

The formats vary sometimes between industries or agencies. I would ask the agency for advice first. Simple is often best, I would suggest no more than two full pages:

Pg1 - quals
    Pg2 - jobs/internal posts at these jobs - brief overview of responsibilities and skills

I would include a third page which has a CPD list - I lie to myself that this does not count as a page as it is a list!

This is not written in stone, just a suggestion, @minnie me 's advice is important as CVs are not generally accepted for roles so do check with each agency and their requirements first.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. amchugh

amchugh New commenter

Your covering letter will make a huge difference as it brings your teaching philosophy and personality into the application. Make sure you hit on some key priorities like raising achievement, pupil premium, narrowing the gap, etc.
    I write a weekly blog at www.teachingandlearningguru.com where you could pick up some ideas to mention. Tweet me at @guruteaching if you want any specific advice!