1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Education 2030

Discussion in 'Education news' started by RebellingforLife, May 12, 2019.

1. RebellingforLife

RebellingforLife New commenter

Every so often we get threads that ask how various aspects of education are going to pan out in the future, but they don't take into account the climate catastrophe. I don't hijack those threads and talk about them from an environmentalist perspective and if anyone is a climate change denier please don't hijack this thread, it's a serious attempt at instigating a discussion that needs to be happening.

I'm going to pose a few questions so let's start with a few assumptions.
    • There will be a governmental reponse to climate change
    • The reponse will reduce consumption of fossil fuels by 50% by 2030
    Personally I believe these targets aren't adequate but they are shocking enough so let's go with them.

If these assumptions happen, in no particular order;
    • How will pupils get to school unless they live within walking/cycling or public transport distances?
    • How will staff get to school unless they live within walking/cycling or public transport distances?
    • Can schools afford to be open in winter months?
    • Will resources such as paper and pens be available?
    • Can awarding bodies produce exam papers?
    • Can exam papers be scanned and marked online?
    • Can we expect electricity prices to rocket and computers to be switched off?
    • The curriculum is not fit for purpose so what should the curriculum be?
    Personally I believe the problems climate breakdown poses to education are so huge that TES ought to have a whole forum so that the issues can be discussed fully.

The list above is only a sample of the issues we face so let's start discussing it now.

pallavik1432 likes this.
  2. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Call me cynical, but, climate change will just be an excuse for cutting teachers, subjects and teaching.

FrankWolley, BTBAM85 and stonerose like this.
  3. gainly

gainly Established commenter

I'm afraid I think your assumptions are optimistic. Government has been cutting back on green measures and I doubt there will be a meaningful response or significant reduction in fossil fuel use. The way things are going they will still be totally obsessed with Brexit in 2030.

However to answer your first three points:

We all used to get to school by walking or bus. It is only in more recent years that children became incapable of walking more than 100 yards.

The problem of staff getting to school will be no different from the problem of how everyone else gets to work.

Surely if all the children stay at home in the winter and all the individual homes have to be heated, this will be much worse than heating the schools.

Jamvic and SomethingWicked like this.
  4. RebellingforLife

Yes, all pupils should be able to walk or cycle to school but we currently have a situation where parents can choose which schools their child goes to, the result is coaches criss crossing our cities every day. That needs to end and all children should attend their nearest school.

The problem of getting to work will be exactly the same faced by everyone else and like companies the world over, schools will need a workforce that is within travelling distance and that will mean walking, cycling or public transport. For some that will mean no change but for many there will be a need to change jobs or homes. The other problem here is that some areas will be heavily populated but won't have many teachers living there.

I think many schools are very badly insulated, and if there is no fuel to fire the boilers they will have to close in the cold months.

lardylegs likes this.
  5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I would like to think that at least some of these questions could be answered using technology.

Exam papers are produced electronically now; they could also be delivered electronically to schools and answered electronically. Most are already scanned and then marked online. It could be that part of many subjects could also be taught/studied online. Flipped learning is one of the ideas - there is a tension between the passionate advocates of technology and the traditionalists, but there's likely to be a middle way.

Reducing commuting distance is a Good Thing anyway. Staff are likely to seek housing near their place of work; parents could choose local schools. The former should apply to all employees - moving some big office based employment out of central areas would help.

Progress made on reducing fossil fuel consumption and increasing renewables is actually pretty impressive; if only we could get the nuclear industry going effectively things would move faster. So electricity will become comparatively cheaper than fossil fuels.

phlogiston likes this.
  6. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

I once had a chat with a previous boss. He had attended a meeting at a university where a professor had said that flipped learning meant that all courses could be delivered without people. My boss was ecstatic. All of his problems were solved. All that money currently being wasted on teachers could be recouped. Took a team of us 2 weeks to get him to see sense.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If children go to their local school, they already either live within walking / cycling /school bus distance. There may be a few in rural areas who need taxis.
    Staff may be more problematic - they may have to accept the need to live closer to work. This will be an obstacle for some.
    Heating a school will be a problem in winter. It already is in some schools! Heating everywhere (homes, workplaces, meeting halls) will be a problem. we will probably have to wear more clothes.
    Maybe electronic will replace paper and pens. Again, these will be lesser worries than shortages of other stuff.
    I don't see why awarding bodies can't continue to produce exam papers. GCSE and A level papers are already scanned and marked online.
    Electricity prices may well rocket - computing will be the least of our problems.
    People will still need to communicate, calculate, know what happened in the past, know how the world works. I have reservations about the current curriculum but do not consider it "unfit for purpose".

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm probably going out on a limb here, but I really can't see most of the points in post #1 coming about. Especially in the next decade.

To take just one - most teachers have partners who also work; if the teachers move close to their place of work, what about their partners? I foresee schools lacking teachers!

9. phlogiston

My rural community could face ruin. The local economy is small and lacks jobs. The main employers are Tesco, the schools and a vegetable packing plant. Most people have to travel miles but in several directions for decent employment. There is only a small amount of public transport. We won't need a school in this scenario.

10. gainly

gainly Established commenter

Quite a few years ago my brother and I did a trek in the Everest region of Nepal. On the first day we had lunch in the grounds of a primary school. After walking for about another three hours uphill we stopped to camp for the night near a village. We went for a stroll around the village and met a young boy who looked about ten and spoke remarkably good English. We found that he went to school each day at the school where we'd had lunch. They clearly have a very different idea of walking distance.

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

. That would require a belief in a British government’s ability to decide, implement and manage a major infrastructure change within a decade, let alone produce anything positive from it. Recent history indicates that such a leap of faith is probably not just naive, but possibly a little deluded!

.. Even if such a government could get elected or remain in office!

phlogiston likes this.
  12. bertiehamster

bertiehamster New commenter

Thank God I'll be out well before then.

13. RebellingforLife

I know what you mean, but the choice is stark. Either we stop using fossil fuels within the next couple of decades or we cause so much damage to the ecosystems and the climate that we make ourselves extinct before the end of the century. The consequences of ending fossil fuel use are horrific but so are the consequences of climate braeakdown and ecological degradation.

14. RebellingforLife

Whilst digitising some of the things currently being done will be OK, do all schools have the equipment to run this? Even if they do, can they train all pupils to touch type to allow them the best chance to be succesful without changing the curriculum? Other skills will be needed, there will be a greater need for medical skills, cooking, growing food etc. How do you do that without changing the curriculum? Mental health will be a far greater problem than it currently is and teachers will need to be counsellors, how do we do that?

All of these issues need tobe thoughtabout before we head down the path of implementing change, but we only have ten years in which to do it.

15. jenniephipps

jenniephipps New commenter

I don’t think that schools will need physical buildings by then. Teaching will be done through online schools.

16. phlogiston

It's quite possible that if we burn less fossil fuel, there will be less air pollution and more exercise and we won't need more medical skills.... unless there's a wholesale failure of the water system in which case the population will be reduced and we still won't need additional medical staff.
    We may well need to learn how to cook the food that is available - but TV chefs can do that. Short hour long lessons in secondary give very limited scope for cooking much - maybe that needs to change. Most people's cooking skills were not acquired through school.
    Agriculture may well have to change - I would argue that actually that is a key priority for any fossil fuel that we co use. We no longer have housing where people can grow food in their back gardens.
    I'm not sure mental health will necessarily be a bigger problem. A less consumerist society may find mental health improves.

17. pallavik1432

pallavik1432 New commenter

18. pallavik1432

pallavik1432 New commenter

Future of Education and Skills 2030 commissioned expert papers
    The Future of Education and Skills 2030 project has commissioned numerous experts to draft papers on a wide range of topics relevant to the project. Those papers which have been declassified are published below as free online PDFs.

Literature Summary for Research on the Transfer of Learning - Ruth Benander

Connections between Anticipation-Action-Reflection and Continuous Improvement Cycles - Ariel Tichnor-Wagner
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

19. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

State school teaching will never be done online in the UK, ever. Ever ever ever. A teacher has stood up in front of a board of some kind for 1000+ years while their subjects listen. That is how it is and that is how it stays.

In Europe, yes, they might try something new. But in England this is it. Forever. And this is why;

We all know that schools aren't about education, right? They, being the government, need a building where you get young people together, make them dress the same, think the same, repeat the same motto and learning and be instilled with the 'values' of your society, or more like the ones you are allowed to celebrate, without cynicism.

20. RebellingforLife

In the long run you could well be right when everyone is aware of the problems we have created for ourselves and minds become focussed on what needs to be done.

In the first instance I believe there will be a massive problem with mental health as we come to terms with food shortages, destruction of the natural world, violence, disease etc. There is another tread in this forum questioning whether we should be trained to recognise mental health, of course we should, further we should also be trained to teach mindfulness.