1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Educating Greater Manchester head quits over 'council vendetta'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by hs9981, Sep 19, 2018.

1. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...r-manchester-head-quits-over-council-vendetta

Brave new head who takes on that job......

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. hs9981

Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Leigh1999

Leigh1999 New commenter

Interesting letter. I’m not sure that it’s in the best interest of the school and the pupils though.

4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

As I remember, it was an absolutely awful school with pupils from very deprived backgrounds. Mr Povey had worked miracles to turn things around and get the GCSE results that they did get. Perhaps councilor Stone should get off her high horse and shift her botty into the classroom in order to improve the results. No- thought not. Did she even watch the programme?? Does she know the difference between 'the national average' Harrop fold, and Eton? They are all different kettles of fish. Oh, and does she know that a Grade 4 not a grade 5 is a pass??
    I suspect Drew Povey's failure was staying in the same position for 12 years. Most heads stay 2 or 3 years and say 'ooh look how I've turned things around' then depart very quickly before the manure hits the air conditioning.
    I have known some ofsted outstanding schools and colleges who have deliberately massaged admin in order to make things look good. Nothing unusual there - just standard practice.

Hdin786, drek, Jesmond12 and 2 others like this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

I disagree. Good for him for getting the whole situation out in the open.

If more Heads and classroom teachers were in a financial position to be able to refuse settlement agreements with their gagging clauses then they could speak out publicly about the background machinations going on in schools up and down the country.

This would ultimately benefit the entire education system by exposing a multitude of, currently, hidden abuses of power and might put a stop to many of these abuses being repeated. It’s this kind of petty political manoeuvring that is ruining educators lives and careers and destabilising the day to day education our children are receiving.

Missbubbleblue, CHAZ47, drek and 2 others like this.
  6. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I'd thought he was a bit of a **** on the TV show (and I'd raised an eyebrow about the collection of brothers) but that letter does seem to show someone who really still wants to do the best for the kids in the school.

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Reading the comments under his letter indicates someone who did a great job and appreciated his staff, the pupils and their parents. They, in turn, are supportive of him and what he did. Can they all be wrong?

8. drek

drek Lead commenter

Every school I’ve worked in has collections of ex students, their parents, siblings etc all working together as staff at the same school.
    It’s no bad thing if they have healthy attitudes towards students, each other and others.

It can feel like mafia style retribution in some schools as leadership positions and roles are quickly grabbed and bagged by kissing cousins with no qualifications to their name.

The retribution comes in the guise of performance management ‘discussions’ with professional colleagues....anyone that they feel threatened by using pupil voice claims and other such twadlle which in many cases can be influenced by the adults doing the questioning! Basic play ground bullying psychology! No expertise required.......Quite disgusting to behold.

It’s messy, corrupt and quite horrible at times..... but it is life.... a reflection of the society we live in, and the community that the school is comprised of sometimes.

Idealism can be pooped on from a great height at such schools. And somehow the policies that should prevent such things from happening actually make it easy for the dodgy and the greedy to establish themselves as experts for many years until like the executives at carillon they claim bankruptcy and run away with their stash intact.
    Protected even by powerful friends in office......

The harm they cause to others has absolutely no paperwork trails amidst all the thousands of nonsensical pieces of data collected and recorded at schools these days......

Does that surprise anyone? ...

I seriously doubt it. it’s just an accepted fact these days..

9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Having met and worked with Drew when I was a primary head in Salford I can honestly say that he is well liked by the staff and well respected by parents and the wider community.

He has worked miracles to turn Harrop Fold around and whilst I do not have the full details of exactly what has gone on I think that it is a huge shame that he is no longer the HT

10. Leigh1999

Leigh1999 New commenter

Do you not see the intrinsic paradox in this comment? Has he made money from being on the TV? Yes, of course he has. Mr Drew from the first series did too. He’ll make more money from being sacked and using his quasi-celebrity status to sell his story. He’ll be on some reality TV show next.

Meanwhile, the kids and staff are left behind to pick up the pieces. The new management team (which replaces Mr Povey and his brothers) will be fighting a difficult battle to steady the ship and move on.

If he cared as deeply for the school as his claims he does, he would declare that he wishes all the best for the school for the future and for the students and put away his hubris. However, like too many heads these days, he hasn’t sought the job because he loves teaching, he’s sought it because he craves power.

One is left with the feeling that the chickens have come home to roost.

11. Leigh1999

Leigh1999 New commenter

Quite! Nevertheless, some power crazy glory hunting person will volunteer.

(Drew Povey? Steven Drew? Hmmmm....)

12. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

If you read his letter he offers more than once to work, for free, with the new leadership to ensure a smooth transition.

13. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

If you read his letter he says, and does, exactly this.

14. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

I do see the irony of the fact that the school’s financial situation has been enhanced by his appearances and personality on the tv show.

If you read his letter it outlines how the proceeds from the tv programme and from a book he has written, linked to the show I presume, will go to benefit the school. He says this is around £100,000.

If he uses his 15 minutes of fame/ ‘quasi-celebrity’ to appear on other tv shows in the future or to write further books in order to earn a living rather than continuing in teaching then, quite frankly, I wouldn’t blame him.

WJClarkson and monicabilongame like this.
  15. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

Ah, apologies. I hadn’t realised that you knew him personally and that you had been informed by him of his inner motives for choosing a career in teaching.

CarrieV and NotAPowerRanger like this.
  16. janallen

janallen New commenter

17. janallen

janallen New commenter

It wasn't an awful school. This narrative is becoming increasingly tiresome. It was judged as poor up until 2005 but that doesn't mean there weren't good staff there. Goods in the ofsted report in 2008 - on the up. Really good ofsted report in 2010 with two outstanding judgements. A lot of legwork was done by a lot of people to make it work of which he was but one. It was a team effort and wasn't attributable to one person. I wish we wouldn't be so quick to create all the soundbites that make things sound good - inspirational leader turns failing school around. Harrop Fold was on the up before Drew had the headship. Wish people could look beyond the headlines.

Alice K and Jamvic like this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Worked miracles or fiddled the figures????
    Tough call to make.

19. hs9981

The performance 8 seems to have taken a drive, since coursework was cut.

I know lots of schools, with such a cohort of students are in a similar situation.

20. hs9981

*dive*