1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edublogs, twitter feeds and school

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Mr_G_ICT, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Hi,

Ok, so i am a twitter-er and an edublogger, but have been using it for personal use not for school use. I'm interested in the use of blogging and twittering for school purposes, but am also aware that a number of child protection issues can raise their heads when this is done.

It is something i've been thinking about for a while, setting up a twitter feed open, so that students can follow interesting articles and stuff. I also want to do an edublog for the same reason, posting information for people on there that could be useful, both inside and outside of the classroom.
    Does anyone else do this for school. I know people like greenwood have their own sites and clarkson, but do the kids tend to follow you or does it just tend to be other ICT Teachers?

2. My blog is (AFAIK) only followed by one student and my Twitter account is protected so that only approved people can view it (at least in part due to being followed by the same student). I did set up a blog specifically for posting interesting links and news stories - but it very quickly became a faff on to update.

I would recommend sticking to a 1-way conversation in terms of professional safeguarding - post links, suggest resources, but try to refrain from getting engaged in conversations. This limits the power of the medium to an extent, but also limits the risks you are taking. I'm far from being obsessed and paranoid about these things (I hope), but engaging - particularly in Twitter - is likely to put you at risk of accidental or malicious misinterpretation.

3. Oh, one other thought - both my blog and my Twitter feed are followed by more non-ICT teachers (and many non-teachers) as pedagogy (and whinging about the hours) go beyond subject specific boundaries ;-)

4. In addition, it is also all kinds of awesome to read!