1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Editing writing in year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by scott74, Apr 24, 2019.

1. scott74

scott74 New commenter

hi
    During my staff meeting we were asked to start each English lesson with a 10 minute editing task. This is throughout the school. I don’t normally do much editing in year 1. Only with my most able. So I was wondering what editing looks like in other year 1 classes and what activities you have found that have worked? Any suggestions would be great.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

We have been doing editing since the beginning of the year. I think it is important that the children just see it just part of the writing process, rather than something extra. At first it was "read through your work and check it makes sense". Then, as the year has gone on, I've introduced particular things to look out for during editing, eg. when we had done some work on full stops, I started saying, "read through your work, check it makes sense, and make sure you have a full stop at the end of your sentence".

In terms of specific editing tasks, we often do an activity where I write something and include deliberate mistakes. The children have to try to find the mistakes and correct them. Sometimes there is a specific focus, if I've noticed that a lot of the class are making a similar mistake (eg. forgetting a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence, or mis-spelling a common exception word). Sometimes there are a mixture of mistakes.

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

This makes me really sad. They are 5 or 6 years old. Can't they just be proud of a bit of writing, without being told to go back and make it better?

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Not sure if this comment is aimed at me or just in general. In terms of what I do, the children aren't being asked to make it better - just to check that the work is the best it can be. As you point out, they are only 5 or 6 years old. If a 5/6 year old child is concentrating on getting his exciting story ideas down on paper, is it any wonder if he forgets to put in full stops - even though he knows how to use them? Is it better for his pride to finish writing down the ideas, hand it in straight away, and receive it back marked "What a great story! Remember to use full stops."? Or to finish writing down the ideas, read it through, realise he's forgotten full stops, add them in, and receive it back marked "What a great story! You remembered to use full stops."?

5. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Mine don’t really edit their own work yet but they do have an editing task every day, which involves a short text I’ve written on the board with errors they have to spot. They could be spelling or grammar errors linked to our learning. I either do this at the start or end of the lesson.

6. scott74

scott74 New commenter

Thanks for your reply. I wrote 3 simple sentences with no capitals and stuck it in their books for them to be the teacher and use their purple pen to correct it. It worked well but a lot of them still missed capital letters out of their work! Early days.
    Thanks.

7. scott74

scott74 New commenter

Yes I have been doing this too but now it has to be more formal, using editing pens and with evidence in their books. I have had a go with same idea but sticking it in their books and they overwrite with a purple pen. They loved it because they were being teachers. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  8. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

For Year 1. Just one sentence without capital letters, full stops and a finger space error is enough for them. Thats the way to get around it as a fun task. And Yes it is really sad, I'm to blame for rainbow writing and editing tasks in ks1. Targets, targets targets bleurgh let them play play play.

lardylegs likes this.