1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Editing" freely available resources and re-selling - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by Eflmeister, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

I recently bought (unfortunately) several paid resources which turned out to be very lightly edited (i.e. a few freely available pictures added) versions of free documents from other websites. The original author, on their website, stated that they had released the documents to the public domain to be used for any purpose, but I do think it is very cheeky to simply stick a few free pictures on something and then charge £5 for the same document without even acknowledging where the original came from.

What do you guys as authors think?

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Morally I don't think it's right. Legally it's complex (see the information about Copyright). However, the chances are if they are doing that, they are infringing on the copyright of the images as well. It would be worth informing the TES who would be able to refund you if it's found to break their terms and conditions. I would also let the original authors know in case the use doesn't allow people to make money from their work without acknowledgement.

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

If initially open source, anyone can edit and republish, but have to be free. Although it can be more complicated.

4. blowswind

blowswind Occasional commenter

Seems quite clear:

in order to have copyright in your work and avoid infringement you need to create something original by using your own skill, labour, judgement and effort.

Using another’s work is copyright infringement when ‘the work as a whole or any substantial part of it’ has been copied.

Creating your own version of someone else’s work, including editing or remixing is referred to as a derivative work. Unless you benefit from one of the copyright exceptions mentioned above or the materials you want to edit are in the public domain, you need to seek permission from the copyright holder first in order to avoid infringement claims.

5. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

I'd use the 'report a problem' button. I did so at the weekend - the resource has since been removed.

wanet and CurriculumForAutism like this.