1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Edit' function. TES please listen!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Why can I only edit a post for such a tiny time after posting? Sometimes I get carried away by my editing, take too long and then get a meaningless error message, and my opportunity to edit has gone. I know of no other forum that restricts editing at all, never mind to this ridiculous degree. I check my posts but sometimes on reading back I want to change something and then I end up taking too long (more than about ten seconds, apparently). I feel I'm being treated like a naughty toddler.

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

I guess it is to stop people substantially altering posts that others may have responded to.

3. I think the limit is 3 minutes but I do agree, it is just plain daft. I know of no other forum where one is so limited and treat like a blinkin child.

4. Within 3 minutes?

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Two other forums that I go on allow indefinite edits, but the posts are clearly marked as edited. It doesn't seem to cause any problems.

6. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I suspect that this is happenoing to you - the edit button might still be appearing on your browser past the three minutes limit because you have not refreshed the page. You think you can press it, thinking you are going to be able to edit, but in actual fact the three minutes are already up, and so when you finish editing - no matter how quick an edit it has been - the changes are not allowed.
    Perhaps TES could implement a change so that a message appears saying "editing time has run out" when you press the edit button after three minutes....

7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Same here. And I agree the edit time is too short, or I am a **** typist. (Probably the latter)

8. Or perhaps TES could treat us as adults and allow for later editing - on most forums you can, and it is marked as edited.

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

When we all start acting like adults... [​IMG]

10. It is not the adults we are concerned about but OK let's try an increase in time to an hour.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Yes, thank you Bev.

I'm having a lot of problems posting at the moment. Something about reloading the page. Is it me? Only half my posts get through [I'm saving this one] and I've just found it impossible to start a new thread.

12. I have been having problems for a few days too - lots of "oooops" messages.

13. Hi
    Please can you send screenshots of this and details of what you were doing and your browser details along with the date and time to help@tes.co.uk so that we can do some tests.
    Thanks.
    Bev