1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edingburgh Reading Test 4 (ERT4)

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by MikeH, Dec 2, 2017.

1. MikeH

MikeH New commenter

Hi
    I have previously been a deputy SENCo & now work as a teacher & tutor in a Special School.
    I'm writing an EHCP for a student who has just joined us in year 11 from a mainstream school.
    Their Reading Age from their previous school was handwritten as >11. This doesn't match what we've measured (RA: 9.11)
    However the enclosed ERT4 test sheet showed the student had scored 17/97 marks...in a test for Reading Ages 11.07 to 16+.
    I suspect it should have been written as RA: <11

We do not use, nor have access to the ERT4 marking scheme & wonder if someone who does use these tests, could verify this please?
    Cheers
    Mike

2. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Hi Mike, I would simply adjust to <11.

I would also advise against ever scoring in reading/spelling ages. The scores are, at best, not very meaningful. They also make it hard to track progress meaningfully, although the trap and main issue with them is that they give the reverse impression to parents.

For an EHCP, or any progress document, which will want to show progress, standard scores and percentiles are far better. Guidance from all professional bodies and most modern test manuals, has advised this for years.