1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edinburgh for the day

Discussion in 'Personal' started by May2, Aug 29, 2015.

1. May2

May2 Established commenter

We are going to see the Escher exhibition on Tuesday and will be in Edinburgh from about 8.00a.m until 5.00pm. Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else to do. Have only been to Edinburgh once before 27 years ago!. We went to the castle and walked the Royal Mile then. Any good places for lunch or afternoon tea maybe. We arrive and leave by train.

2. gargs

gargs Star commenter

I don't know about sights but the last time I went, we ate at Tuk Tuk. Delicious food and reasonably priced.

http://www.tuktukonline.com/

3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

You might catch the end of the festival. There should be a good atmosphere and lots of street entertainment going on. Can't help with places to eat. Sorry. have a lovely day.

4. May2

Sorry gargs, I am sure my husband would love Tuk Tuk but I'm afraid I don't like Indian food

5. missmunchie

missmunchie Occasional commenter

I was in Edinburgh a few days ago and we went to the Museum of Childhood (free entry) on the High Street. There were lots of street performers around but the museum was fairly quiet. I met up with a friend and we just got M&S food and had a picnic in Princess street gardens. The weather was lovely. If you time your picnic right you should hear the one o'clock gun go off. We missed it, but we did see John Hannah strolling through the park. Enjoy.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We got the bus to see the Royal Yacht Britannia it was much more interesting than I thought it would be. Her Majesty's tastes are quite chintzy rather than blingy - think Margot Leadbetter.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Mary King's Close is also very interesting but I wouldn't bother with a ghost walk - very predictable.

www.realmarykingsclose.com

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Go to Vittoria's for lunch. It's five minutes down from The Royal Mile, near Greyfriars Bobby. It's Italian, but they have a very varied menu if pizza or calzone isn't your thing. It's very friendly and relaxed. Across the road is the National Museum of Scotland. It's excellent, and free of charge. You could get lost in there - there's the modern part of the building which is dedicated to Scottish history, but the rest of the museum is more generalised. I love it. There's a macabre, giant, ornate, animated clock near the main foyer which draws the crowds every time it chimes.

Both places are close to the station - just go down Cockburn Street and it brings you to the side entrance of Waverly.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Scone palace is sometimes open if your there.

If you go to the boat then allow a few hours to tour and get there.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

That's near Perth. I think the OP is only in Edinburgh for one day.

11. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

My sister's teddy bear is in the Museum of Childhood. I really can't remember why though. Wave to Daphne if you see her :)

12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Scone Palace? Boat??

What alternative version of Scotland have you been visiting?

13. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Perhaps he is thinking of Loch Leven Castle where Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned.

14. missmunchie

missmunchie Occasional commenter

cosmosinfrance: "My sister's teddy bear is in the Museum of Childhood. I really can't remember why though. Wave to Daphne if you see her :)"

Anyone can donate toys to the museum, I think all of the items are donated. One of the museum staff told me that they are still collecting and would like toys from the 70s and 80s.

My daughter was a little scared of the dolls and puppets but I liked the one made out of a shoe.

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I thought his reference to the 'boat' was referring to my suggestion of the Britannia which would actually take a few hours given the bus ride.

16. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Written equivalent of a slip of the tongue I think, CK. I think he probably meant to say Holyrood Palace and Britannia.

Am another one who loves the National Museum of Scotland and when I had a young family, the Museum of Childhood was always one of our favourite places to visit. Glad to hear it's still going strong - I've walked down the Royal Mile many times recently without noticing it.

Edit: hadn't spotted InkyP's post before I posted. And another edit because I'd no idea I'd quoted CK twice.

17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Ha, I wondered if the boat was a reference to Britannia. But Scone Palace? :-D

The imagery was pretty funny.

18. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I agree the imagery was funny. Yes, I think it has to be Britannia. Just guessing but 'The Palace of Holyroodhouse' is a bit of a mouthful and probably not easy to recall if you're not familiar with it - whereas there are lots of reasons why Scone might stick in the mind. :)

Maybe Oldsome will come back and enlighten us.

19. May2

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. We are off tonight on the sleeper train.

20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

LOVE the sleeper. Have a good time!