1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EDI Level 4 Certificate in Principles of Teaching and Learning

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by anon4738, Apr 8, 2011.

1. I've been unsuccessful in getting a place on a PGCE at Manchester University - they said I needed more experience and to develop my understanding of educational issues (including learning). I've put off the PGCE attempts until 2012, so I've a year to get a bit more experience under my belt. As for educational issues, I realise reading like mad will probably help on this, which I did do before my interview, but I guess it didn't come across in my assessment centre.
    Does anyone know if (or indeed, have you heard of) the EDI Certificate in Principles of Teaching and Learning would be of any benefit in this case? It's at QCF Level 4. I really want to do something with my time come September, and this seems like it would be both interesting and useful - it seems to be more about theory than experience, which is something I can sort out on my own anyway. However, I'm concerned that it's one of those courses that is actually frowned upon by universities and schools - maybe it does more harm than good. Does anyone have any experience of it?
    http://www.ediplc.com/documents/CTPTL4%20Product%20Info%20Sheet%20(2).pdf

2. Hi

I'm in similar situation, had PGCE interview but was unsuccessful this year. But in the end of January started Level 2 Supporting Teaching CACHE course designed for potential Teaching Assistants. This is one evening a week and I'm doing 2 days a week in Primary School environment. This course requires 15 hours per week experience and the course is officially 12 months but it can be completed sooner.
    It includes writing 'Knowledge' - book work mainly, Reflective Accounts - from your school experiences and Direct Observation - so it includes a range of types of assessments.
    It isn't anywhere as indepth as a BEd but is good fun and if you are new to Education you would learn a lot, plus the experience in School will be invaluable.
    Previous students have got onto PGCE courses I've been told.
    Can you go straight onto Level 4 because under the CACHE system its Level 2 first then Level 3 Diploma and the next step can be a Foundation Degree.

Thanks

Nick

3. That sounds good, but I'm not aware of any courses like that existing here (I'm in Northern Ireland, should have mentioned that). I also work full-time so 15 hours a week classroom experience is out for me - as much as I would love to do that, I simply can't afford to.
    As far as I can find out, you can certainly start this one at Level 4, but that's why I'm trying to find out more about it - I'm just not entirely sure what it is or who it's really meant for. Last thing I want to do is devote my time to it to only be told by a PGCE co-ordinator that it was a waste of my time.