1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcell IGCSE History

Discussion in 'History' started by HistoryEducator, Sep 21, 2019.

1. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

Are there any other teachers covering this syllabus?

danguiney likes this.
  2. danguiney

danguiney New commenter

I teach it - great syllabus and students regularly grade highly.

3. HistoryEducator

Hi
    I agree with you.
    This is my 3rd year of the IGCSE. I've been teaching though for what seems like a hundred years.(39th year)
    I've just take y10 and 11 now part-time.

My main problem is not having any other experienced teacher to talk to.
    I have about 40 pupils doing the exam. Had my best results for exam classes.

I'm teaching (not the correct titles) Russian Revolution / Stalin / Cold war/ Medicine.
    I'm based in Northwest England.

4. danguiney

danguiney New commenter

kew2 likes this.
  5. HistoryEducator

Thanks for the information.
    It's not the quantity of time but the quality of teaching that matters. I began in history then got sidetracked to Humanities and now back to my first love of teaching (history)
    The IGCSE has made me change the way I teach I have to ask :
    • have the pupils got the knowledge? (can they remember it all!!!!)
    • do they know what they will get marks for?
    • do they understand the questions/ vocabulary?
    • have they got their timings right?
    It has been a learning curve.
    I started teaching when it was O levels and CSE exams
    then 16+ exams
    then GCSE
    now I'm teaching IGCSE

When teaching the Cold War my pupils find it funny when I say, I was a child when this happened.

6. HistoryEducator

@danguiney
    Just need to let off steam
    My year 10 groups (2) are driving me mad. So slow, not remembering basic knowledge and basic answers for exam questions. I am at least 4 weeks behind as I keep having to recap the work.
    I have been at my present school for 9 years and I have never had a cohort like these before.
    The Citizenship teacher is having similar problems so I know it is not just me.
    I'm going to have to be ruthless this week and finish the first unit which should have been completed in December.

Are you still in China? If so how are you coping with the health situation?

7. kew2

kew2 New commenter

I have been teaching this syllabus for about 6 years now. I love it and get very good results. We do Ruusia 1905-1924, Germany 1918-45, USA 1945-74 and we have just changed to China 1900-1989 as Changing Nature of Warfare is just too much content since they changed the spec. bearing in mind it is worth only the same number of marks. I am based in Hampshire and would love to chat to others about the course and espevcially if there are any good resources on China as we will start teaching this from May for the 1st time.

8. HistoryEducator

@kew2
    Nice to hear from you. What type of school are you teaching in?
    I'm in a 2 form entry girls mixed ability school. No exam entrance to get in.
    I have about 40-45 pupils in Y10&Y11 . " classes in each year group. I only teach the exam classes now in my old age.
    I only match you with the Russian unit.
    I'm based in Greater Manchester so too far for an actual meet up. But if you need to talk about any particular issues please feel free.

9. danguiney

danguiney New commenter

Yes, still in China.

Difficult when trying to squeeze content in I know. All cohorts and classes are a bit different and there is only so much you can do. Personally I find refining and revisiting my starter activities for a given unit is the single easiest and most effective way to win back a class who seem dispirited but not quite 'with it' ... but keep smiling through!

10. HistoryEducator

@danguiney
    Thanks for your message, need to review the whole cohort and see how many are really struggling beside ME!

11. HistoryEducator

I went to have an informal talk with the headteacher. He has an open-door policy.
    His first words were" how can we help you?"
    He's giving me some extra lessons to catch up on the syllabus and time for an end of unit assessment.
    I was very impressed with his positive approach.